Dented lan cable port from drop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanYarnell, Dec 7, 2009.

1. SeanYarnell macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I have a unibody Macbook Pro 15" and the drop caused the upper casing to be pushed up from the bottom part and now the lan cable port which is affected the most is tilted and dented in such a way the opening is not possible to fit the cable in anymore.

I know of to approach Apple and it will cost a bomb, or just buy spare parts and go to a third party Apple repair centre to fix it?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Say goodbye to your Applecare. I don't think a 3rd party Apple certified store will repair the part without getting it through Apple, so you'd still be stuck paying Apple's outrageous fees to fix it.

It's worth a try, especially if you know someone who's comfortable fixing laptops... I fixed my non-UB Macbook Pro myself, and it took the better part of a day, but it wasn't hard... just tedious.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Take the bottom panel off and see if you can access this dented area...it is really close to the edge to might be easy to get at with the bottom off. Be careful about "prying" as it's easy to muck things up more with soft aluminum.

Is the port itself damaged or just the unibody opening dented? Work slow and deliberate and you should be able to make it functional again if just cosmetic.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

First run a hardware test to check if there is any damage to the internal components. Then try to fix it yourself...

or you can buy the bottom case off ebay and replace it with your dented one...

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

If you saw someone hit by a car would you say "say goodbye to ever walking again" right off? Geez people.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If they had Applecare health insurance, yes! Furthermore, assuming only their legs were broken, Applecare would force the patient to get new prosthetic legs (over a cast and letting the patients real legs heal), and if the patient needed a cavity filled, it would not be covered until the real legs were replaced, even if the real legs had since healed.

You've obviously never dealt with Applecare before.

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Well done...I concede the field.

8. SeanYarnell thread starter macrumors newbie

The side of the body where all the ports are has this "pushed up" effect away from the bottom case, i would need to get it pushed back into place again somehow someway but now the concern is will Apple really refuse to repair my mac for any problems in the future? I'm sure many people out there has dropped their mac before and besides the pushed up metal frame and a dented in corner on the LCD bottom screen, my mac still looks fine. And because I purchased the extended 3 years Applecare warranty.