Dented MBA, Price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emma.nelson, May 23, 2013.

1. emma.nelson macrumors newbie

Okay, well, I've dropped my computer a couple times and I have gotten a small dent in the corner but that has never really bothered me. However, just the other day someone pointed out a medium-sized dent on the right-side corner of my computer. This is where the keyboard is so it's on that half of the Mac, not the front where the Apple Symbol is.

I just wanted to know how much the price is. The damage isn't too bad, I can still close the computer but not fully like I'd want to.

Any help/ideas?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

:eek::eek::eek:

You could start with looking closer for damages you missed the other 'couple' times...seriously how do you drop your computer so much???

But as GGJ said Mac2Sell is a good place to start

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you misread (or maybe I did). It sounded like he wanted to repair because it doesn't close the way he wants to. OP, can you clarify?

6. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Sounds like a macbook air I bought on eBay, and have had to return because the seller only described a small dent, when the actual damage was most of the right hand side of the computer.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think you're right. On re-reading it, I'm not sure if the OP is asking for a price for repairs or a price to sell.

8. emma.nelson thread starter macrumors newbie

What I mean by saying I've dropped my computer a couple times, I've dropped it inside it's case. I only have two dents, both rather small but one still makes a load of difference. This one isn't really noticeable but once you close the computer it has a problem with shutting fully on the right-side.

I'm asking for how much it costs for repair, not for selling.

9. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Pics please! Depends on the damage internally too.

10. emma.nelson thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll try to get a picture of it up when I get home, but so far the mac works fine. No internal damage as far as I'm concerned.

11. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

It sounds like you've dented the aluminium both on the body of the laptop and the screen. In that case, the answer to a price to repair : too much.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Sometimes you just drop things by accident. It happens when you least expect it.

For example, years ago I placed my laptop bag on top of some luggage by the front door. Moments later after I walked away, the bag just flipped forward and off the luggage, landing on its top, where it has no padding.

Boom! Dented 2010 15" Macbook Pro.

Still works great, but now it has battle damage.

No matter how careful we are, sometimes the unexpected happens. When it was time to buy a new laptop bag (a backpack this time) I made sure it was padded all the way around. You learn from mistakes!

13. emma.nelson thread starter macrumors newbie

One, I am willing to pay any price. I just don't think it's as serious as buying a whole new computer.

Two, the screen isn't touched, only the aluminum.

Here are two pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Ouch!

I may be wrong but considering the IC's are 'in' the aluminium casing for the MBA's and retina MBP's there's always a chance that dents and bends like that might be more than just superficial damage.

If you're willing to pay any price...why not just buy a replacement...?

15. emma.nelson thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, I don't know. I don't really want to buy a replacement, but if it effects the Mac it self I'll be willing to do so. The computer isn't damaged internally, and everything just seems normal.

I'll get it checked out with an Apple Store.

16. rivettmj macrumors member

One alternative would be to take the logic board out (and verify that its not damaged) and bend the case back into shape (with the logic board removed!) a hand held metal straightener is pretty cheap from your local hardware store, something like this should be able to get it back into shape: (I've bend parts of a twisted G5 case with these kind seamers before with "ok" results)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Offset-Hand-Seamer-86552/100647695?N=1z0zz9n#.UaZSoHEpA_o

I always look for an excuse to buy more tools ;)

17. maxosx macrumors 68020

Ah yes, I belong to that club :D

18. emma.nelson thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that sounds really good.
    Thanks everyone who helped!