Dented MBP + AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dietzg, Dec 9, 2007.

1. dietzg macrumors newbie

Hello all.

About two months ago the bottom left corner of my MBP got dented. Everything has been working fine since then. However, I was wondering what would happen if I were to take it into an Apple Store for servicing under AppleCare if hardware failed in the future? Would they charge me for a repair and blame it on the dent, ruling it "accidental damage?"

Is it possible to bring in my mac to the Apple Store, have a genius look at it and log the serial as "working" so that in the future, if anything happens, they can't blame it on the small dent in the corner?

edit: Here is a quick picture I took of the dent with my cellphone. Don't have my digital camera around.

[​IMG]

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Whether it would be covered or not depends on a lot of things...how bad the dent is, what the problem is, how kind the service person is, etc.

And as far as I know, they won't "certify" a machine as working after it suffers physical damage. You just have to take your chances if you have a problem.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

No, Applecare won't cover that. Dents don't just happen by themselves, they're caused at the fault of the user, so your out of luck on that.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Does this mean his AppleCare is effectively useless now? As in, could someone @ Apple point to the dent and exclude him from service on a future problem due to said dent?

5. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Applecare covers acts of god and shoddy product - not stupidity on behalf of the user.

6. fs454 macrumors 68000

No direct answer as of yet. I have a pretty nasty dent too and am wondering the same.

If the dent is there, but the hardware failure spontaneous and not caused by the dent, will apple blame the dent for the failure and not cover it?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. Because it sort of makes AppleCare seem kind of sketchy if they can randomly spot-check your gear for dents and use that to refuse to treat whatever goes wrong without charging you.

8. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Your dent is in the area of the hard drive. If the hard drive fails at a later date, it would be pretty hard to convince Apple that the failure didn't happen as a result of the dent (even if it wasn't). If it's something else, I'd guess it's up to them... just hope you get a good AppleCare rep on the phone.

FWIW, you can ask for a pro-rated refund of your AppleCare at any time. I'm not sure how they figure out how much to give back, but you can get some of your money back.

9. tsvb macrumors 6502

Did you even read the thread?

10. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Good question; have a chat to Apple; then again, there isn't much depth to the picture; if you can pass it off as fair wear and tear, its possible, so there fore any damage inside would come under that, but with that being said, it all depends on the individual looking at the machine. You might get a nice guy or you might get a little hitler with too much time on his hands - its the luck of the draw.