Dented MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pvtjokr88, Jul 2, 2012.

1. pvtjokr88 macrumors newbie

Big problem, Ive got this early 2011 13" MBP, and its got a dent right in the middle of the bottom. Even the keyboard is pushing up a little bit and the trackpad is cracked. The insides dont really appear damaged that much, maybe a mm or 2 out of wack, but apparently enough to cause issues.

I was hopin to get some advice from all the apple wizards here. Is there a possibility that any of the hardware i have is worth anything; optical drive, hard drive, display, battery, or whatever else is in there. Would be nice to not have this be a complete loss.

Apple will fix it for 800$, but for that price i think id rather just save up for a brand new one.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Does it function fine? If so just use it and learn to love the battle scars. I've got a couple, gives it character.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is not worth fixing at this point if it functions. I wouldn't bother as long as it worked. I may even try to buy a new case off eBay but otherwise, I wouldn't pay $800 to have it fixed.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Does the MBP even boot up? What was the Apple diagnosis? An $800 quote sounds like a logic board and or display problem.

5. pvtjokr88 thread starter macrumors newbie

for the first 5 days i couldn't get anything out of it more than a few beeps. good point though, i can't really say i dig the way it looks, but it has a raised a few questions when people ask how the hell my comp still works when its all sorts of beat up.

those were my thoughts exactly, it felt like i had a 1500$ paperweight. but given recent developments i might see about a new trackpad or if i can come up on a new bottom piece. (or whatever the bottom cover is called)

its working fine now, but at first when i took it took apple they looked at it for 5 seconds and told me that it was going to be an $800 repair, they didn't even take it out of my hands. i know what you mean about the logic board though, the logic board had needed replacing on this very same laptop and i was quoted $280 but they ended up doing it for free. maybe policy is different from store to store??