Dented my 17" MacBook Pro Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JucheCouture, May 20, 2009.

1. JucheCouture macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I recently bought a new MacBook (17" Unibody) and I just managed to dent the case (dropped the power brick on it, whoops). It's on the lower case, left of the touchpad and below the keyboard.

It's minor and definitely cosmetic, so it won't be covered by the warranty. I don't mind paying for parts and labour if the price is reasonable - I hate having to stare at this thing! Has anyone had a similar procedure done, or know what kind of price it would be?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah there's some people that wont even use the machine if had a big ass dent on it.

Anyhow, pics or it didn't happen.. ;)

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Not sure if you can un-bend aluminum unless you replace the unibody casing.

Pictures?

4. JucheCouture thread starter macrumors newbie

No camera I'm afraid. I'm assuming they'll have to replace the case unless they do some sort of 'buffing-out' procedure, which would still require taking the case off and probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Will they migrate the internals to a new case? I assume they can disconnect the top half with the LCD and attach it to the new one.

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

If the parts are avaliable now, you can hire a private Apple repair store to do this for WAY less than what Apple will do (they don't replace the aluminum, but the part)

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah you just need to swap the bottom part (unibody part). How high did you drop that power brick on the machine?

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I believe Apple will classify cosmetic damage as a tier 2 repair, at minimum, which is going to cost you $600.

That's what happened to my Late 2007 MBP, only Apple insisted my hard drive (which i'm still using a year later) was also dead, as well as the CD drive, and tried to charge me $1200 to fix it.

I ended up going on ebay and getting the parts for $40. Tomorrow or next week I plan on swapping cases.

Good luck!

8. JucheCouture thread starter macrumors newbie

About 6 inches, it just happened to land square on the corner :(

$600 hah! In that case I'll just wait until I do something worse to it. I don't have nearly the technical know-how (or patience) to attempt to migrate cases myself.

I've had a much simpler idea - I'll buy a mochi palmguard. Out of sight, out of mind :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry to hear that happened; and yes I was going to suggest getting the palmguard.