Dented Unibody 15", suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freakonaleash92, Jan 15, 2009.

1. freakonaleash92 macrumors newbie

hello
    well i decided to be really dumb and leave my mbp in my bag in a neoprene sleve with the zipper facing down, and the zipper just happens to portrude in (stupid "avec" sleeves) anyway i put my bag down pretty hard and then this happened :( anyway any suggestions on what i can do? theres no damage to the system, i ran disk utility plenty of times and theres no problems, and i can see it didnt hit anything but just the aesthetics is what i bought the computer for and its just starting to bother me

any help is appreciated!

http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15012009286ec7.jpg
    http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15012009287ie9.jpg
    http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15012009288hi5.jpg

2. children macrumors regular

oh god :(
    i feel for you.. but from experience, i find it that in situation like these, its best to leave it alone. if you try to fix it yourself, you'll make it worse..

go to a apple store and ask them if they can fix it, or call up apple and explain your situation, but i doubt they will be able to do much..

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I think you would have had to have dropped or slammed the bag down pretty hard for that to occur. My only suggestion is be mindful of what's in your bag before you toss it around.

4. freakonaleash92 thread starter macrumors newbie

constructive. i was asking where to go from here, but no, no, this helps so much more.

5. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

That's exactly the reason I bought a Booq Vyper M3 hardcase for the unibody MBP. Fits like a glove.

I dropped my Unibody MBP from about 5ft straight down to a concrete floor (not intentionally of course) and I couldn't notice a thing. (except for my heartbeat that was skyrocketing)

The problem is ... If you should have any hardware problem in the future - maybe even unrelated to the damage - Apple can (and probably will) refuse to repair it for free.

Like suggested above, go to an Apple store and see what they can do for you. (I don't know about case pricings for the Unibody's, but I don't think they will be very cheap)

6. lscangus macrumors 6502

I feel sorry for your MBP....

May be thats one of the reason why Apple gone for a non removable cover in their MBP17.

TBH, i think the old MBP construction is much stronger than the new one

7. zevot macrumors member

not reli there's still a cover at the bottom
    just that you dont have a easily removable one

i dont think that contributes to the strength of the part where the op hits his mbp

only way is to go to an apple store :rolleyes:

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

No way. You could dent the old MBP just by bumping it into a wall.

9. Muler36 macrumors member

..is that really what happened? Im finding it hard to believe you put down your bag fairly hard and a zip did this to it?

in my opinion, try going to the apple store and seeing if they'll do anything about it, failing that I would try a DIY.

it looks fairly simple to push back out, and although this might not be condonable by many members here, if you DIY it until it looks normal again, apple might accept it if you try and replace it for a new one.

10. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Wt?

:rolleyes:
    Roy, this comment is possibly helpful for the next time he doesn't want to forget that he doesn't want to wreck a new notebook......

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There isn't much you can do except either:
    Live with it.
    OR
    Get it fixed
    OR
    Sell the computer as is and buy a new/refurbished one

12. john87 macrumors newbie

I just did the same thing, strap on my bag snapped off and dropped about 2 feet but the damage is almost identical.. from a zipper as well.. What did you end up doing?

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Well I was paying good attention answering a year old thread :p

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

When I was a kid my parents always bought all of my shoes and clothes at k-mart. It was cheaper, and they had little money. I got teased since I lived in some upper middle class suburban neighborhood.

One time I finally got a pair of nice shoes, something I really liked, they cost $65. :eek: I treated them like gold, cleaned them daily.

One day they got a scuff on them. I was sad, as I couldn't get it out. They weren't new anymore.

So on the next pair of shoes I got a year later, I made sure that I treated them perfectly. If it rained I didn't go outside. The next day I'd step around puddles. I wouldn't step on the sides of the sidewalk so I couldn't get a scuff falling where the sidewalk met the grass.

Eventually somehow I got a large mark on them again.

I learned here, that portable items hitting the road everyday are not going to look new forever. Stepping around puddles, being sure not to walk too fast, all these things compromise your life. What you have to do in order to ensure your belongings look new forever may drastically change you. You won't be able to hurry when needed anymore. You won't be able to use your items where you wanted to anymore .

Don't look at the dent and see a busted computer. Look at the mark, and smile knowing you live a life without compromise.

Almost every device I own is beat to ****, because it has been asked to perform in terrible situations. When I am in a hurry, when I am carrying 4-5 things at a time, when it rains out, when I have nothing to put it down on but concrete. I see it as a badge of honor on each device for the trials it has been through with me. I guess it's more difficult to see it that way when caused by something as lame as a zipper.

15. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Pffft K-mart? You elitist....I had Pro Wings.