Dents/Holes Appearing in iMac Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by realph, Oct 14, 2013.

1. realph macrumors regular

I've had my iMac since late 2011, and over the past couple of years I keep seeing these dents/holes (image attached) appearing on my display. The first one happened a few months after I purchased it, the second appeared last year, and the third one appeared just recently.

I have nothing around my iMac to cause such damage. Has anyone else run into a similar problem with these iMac's, it's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. cycledance Suspended

very strange indeed. do u suspect anyone damaging it on purpose?

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Those actually look like chips in the glass. Are they on the surface or underneath? It really looks like the kind of damage you might see if someone were to try and pry open the screen.

4. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

That is odd, can't say I've seen anything like it before. :confused:

At first I thought maybe something was out of place behind the glass because of their uniform look, like screws not all being the way in, something protruding enough to put pressure on the glass.

However after looking at this image of the iMac with the glass removed there seems to be nothing there that would cause this. I'm stumped.

I would hope it's not caused by any person.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

it looks like a problem with lamination of the glass. like its separating one of its layers. does apple have some kind of coating or film over the glass?

6. realph thread starter macrumors regular

No one goes in that room, and I can't think of my family damaging it intentionally. It's really strange. Might just give AppleCare a call and see what can be done about it and if they've seen this problem before.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Must be some problem with lamination. Certainly a job for apple.

8. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Weird, this might be totally out of left field, but do you have a pet woodpecker?