Denver Zoo's Poo Powered Vehicle

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by yg17, Mar 27, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20227777/motorized-rickshaw-shows-off-power-zoo-poo

So how long do you think it will be until we're able to drop a deuce in our car's gas tank instead of paying 5 bucks a gallon?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You can do that now, but the filler pipe might chafe some. :D

Seriously, you would probably do 1rpm with that amount of feces.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Not yet economically feasible, eh? I would like my personal waste to be worth something, though. After all, I spent valuable time creating it. ;)

4. localoid, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Chicken Manure Powered Car

That well-known scientific authority, The National Enquirer, ran an article in 1970 about a Harold Bate, a British inventor who'd found a way of converting chicken droppings to methane gas and running his automobile on it.

The Mother Earth News, Issue 10, July 1971, featured a story on the invention. I remember reading a similar story about Bate's chicken $*** powered car in The Whole Earth Catalog sometime in 1972. Bates explained how you could collect the gas in plastic balloons, then attach the balloon to an adapter to feed the gas into your carburetor. He offered the "adapter" for sale at about $33, if I remember correctly...

[​IMG]

Enterprising do-it-yourselfers should take note: the article provides much detail about Bate's "digester". ;)

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I can see the future now.

Instead of siphoning gas from parked cars, guys will be skulking around the countryside in the middle of the night, siphoning "droppings" from septic tanks.

:p