Denzel on the way phones are changing us

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Oct 12, 2017.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

What?!

Chief of the Boat! COB!

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Same way as what would anybody else care what you think, no? He is a smart guy:)

4. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Whether one cares what Denzel thinks is one thing but all you need to do is look around next time you are out in public. Almost everyone has their noses buried in their smart phones, hardly anyones says hi. smiles or starts up a conversation with strangers anymore. The same goes for families. I do think their is some truth to what Denzel is trying to say.

5. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

6. ericwn macrumors 68020

That linked article is rather click bait to get the book of the author. Great way to advertise yet another religious nut job’s paranoia. The phone is just a tool. Millions of people use them in different ways. Technology in itself does not automatically mean progress or the opposite.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Everyone's views are different. No one is going to perceive a smart phone the same way. We use our smart phones every single day and they are very personal devices to us because of communication and how they intertwine us into a very mobile world.

8. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

What's so bad about mentioning that there are also negative effects from todays technology?

There are strong support from academic research about the negative effects of todays smartphone addiction. The dopamine just keep getting released and we can't stop.

Of course everyone is different. Everyone uses the phone in different ways. But the ratio of people that use it "too much" is increasing and increasing.

9. ericwn macrumors 68020

It’s discussing the obvious. Almost anything in life without moderation is unhealthy. This is the same old, beaten to death topic that people have been screaming about when the radio, TV, the computer, the internet etc were invented.
    If you think you can’t stop, speak for yourself.

10. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

^ All things require moderation. You must be able to moderate yourself and if you are noticing a negative impact in your life it means you're using said thing too much.

This goes for all things even time spent at work or with a partner too much can be entirely unhealthy.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Agreed but not everyone is capable of or even know they require self-moderation. Some people will even deny the issue when it's brought to their attention. It's the tell-tale sign of addiction.

"The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem."

The lady in the news who went blind from playing some game on her phone for a ridiculous amount of time without a break is a perfect example.

12. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Precisely why i said if you're noticing a negative impact in your life then its a give away that you're not moderating yourself correctly.

13. oplix Suspended

oplix

I already beat Denzel to this a looooong time ago

14. ah1488 Suspended

ah1488

a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    isnt that the question

15. oplix Suspended

oplix

16. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    It's both smart and ironic that Steve Jobs wouldn't let his own kids use iOS devices too much. And never at the dinner table.

Like a drug dealer protecting his own, he knew all too well how addictive and socially disruptive devices can be.

17. ericwn macrumors 68020

Where did Steve Jobs say that?

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

19. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    “So, your kids must love the iPad?” I asked Mr. Jobs, trying to change the subject. The company’s first tablet was just hitting the shelves.

“They haven’t used it,” he told me. “We limit how much technology our kids use at home.”

I’m sure I responded with a gasp and dumbfounded silence. I had imagined the Jobs’s household was like a nerd’s paradise: that the walls were giant touch screens, the dining table was made from tiles of iPads and that iPods were handed out to guests like chocolates on a pillow.

Nope, Mr. Jobs told me, not even close.

- NY Times, 2014

Additionally, Jobs' biographer wrote that, every evening, Steve made a point of having dinner at the big long table in their kitchen, discussing books and history and a variety of things. They never pulled out a phone or tablet. Smart man.

20. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Yeah. We have LOTS of Tech in the house but we limit it. Hell, I’ve started limiting myself more. I swear heavy use affects memory in that we are often much less engaged. I’ve had people I’ve ‘known’ forever but still didn’t know their name. After some reduction for even just a few weeks I see a difference.

I have noticed too much iPad/YT time by kids zombifies then and makes them much more irritable. Time to go outside.

21. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Trailing off topic perhaps, but the amount of times I’ve seen a parent hand their kid(s) a tablet or smartphone to use for the entire meal is disturbing. A lot of the times, the kids will have *their own* smartphone/tablet and the parent will be using theirs too.

Barely any human interaction at all. I seriously wonder how this will affect kids growing up.

22. McTaste macrumors regular

McTaste

Go ahead and talk to some strangers on the bus or subway. Let us know about the amazing conversations you have.

23. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Exactly. When will celebrities realize we don’t care about their opinions, especially politically. Just read your scripted lines and entertain me.

24. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Sure thing.