Dependency

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Nothingfaced, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Nothingfaced macrumors member

Does anyone else having a feeling of dependency with their watch?

I'm at the point to where when I take off the watch to sleep, or shower, I feel "naked" and off.

I guess this is a good thing - I couldn't imagine life without it at this point. is this normal?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, it is normally considered normal. :D

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's really no different from feeling "naked" without your iPhone, not having your seatbelt on in the car, or anything else you've become accustomed to.

4. Roller macrumors 68020

However, if the OP develops a relationship with the AW similar to the one that Joaquin Phoenix's character had with his OS in "Her," I'd say there would be a problem. :)

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I feel this way about my phone, not my watch.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's the first thing I put on when I wake up in the morning. I love my Watch. I'm totally sold on the concept and it's only going to get better from here. Stainless steel it is for the next gen. I'm hooked

7. BlueMoon63, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Pretty much the same but definitely not obsessed or dependent. I wear it 23 hours a day every day and I have filled the activity rings every day for the past month and now want the awards and motivation. It pushes you while most people just don't workout at all so it is good.

The AW is now more important to me than my iPhone and it is all I use at home and for workouts and yard work. Plus, at work, it works no matter what floor I am on with my iPhone locked in my desk drawer. The bluetooth to my jaybird headphones all day as I work on the lawn. I track my sleep and my workout and heart rate and the watch has been 99% accurate. No more trying to figure out where to put my iPhone during a workout or yard work or mowing. No more carrying the iPhone during runs and having to worry about dropping or getting it wet or dirty from yard work. When I finish, I just shower with the watch and it is back to spotless. My weight lifting app even works on the AW so I can enter reps without grabbling my phone and I can see what is next and weight.

All day long I am adding notes and reminders with Siri and to do items. Fantastical 2 has be great as well as 2Do and Dark Rain. I never check my phone now while golfing and I can check my watch for distance to the pin and scoring and answer all text messages with Siri.

I am sold on the Apple Watch. I wouldnt sell it for a profit.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Which app do you use for weights (and golf, while I'm at it)?

I had come to love wearing watches again a few years ago, and now the only time the AW is off my wrist is for it to recharge.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not so sure I am in love that much with the watch. The other day I left the watch on the charger and it was actually nice to hear my 6+ make its notification sounds. I found the sound was nice.

10. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Before the Apple Watch in the days of wearing Swiss Mechanical Watches I always felt naked without my Watch, I feel the same without my Apple Watch.

Absolute Perfect Timepiece with Many Extras.....................

11. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

How do you wear it 23 hours everyday and it holds its charge... an hour charge per day isn't enough, surely?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an extension of my phone, and it's a nice product :)

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Actually, one hour is about right. Give or take a few minutes. By 9pm my watch is at 40-50% except when I golf when it may be 30-40% and that is typically with two hours of exercise (max). It takes about an hour to charge 50-60% or more.

14. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Fitness Builder for weightlifting but it also does cardio. It has an Apple Watch extension where you start the workout you want to do and then leave the phone charged by your bedside or on a table or locker and the watch takes over. It pretty slick.

I use golfshot on the watch for when I golf though I was so bad at remembering or needing to check, I have only used it for the full round a few times. Was surprised at how little it drained the battery.

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Because the battery is so small, it fills quickly, just like how a small gas tank on a car reaches capacity quicker. I'll guess that it charges faster than one percent per minute.

16. ivandr macrumors regular

Yeah, it charges very fast. I dropped my watch on the charger for about 12-15 minutes this morning while I was showering after a workout and it went from 83%-99% in that time.

It also seems to charge in a non-linear fashion (when the battery level is really low the amount charged/minute is much faster and then it seems to slow down as it nears capacity)

17. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Yes. It seems to be the slowest to charge from 90-100% but it has never taken me over an hour but I never hit power reserve before.

I am pretty consistent with the watch. 9pm charge and 10pm bed and 5am up. Battery today was back to 93% after 7 hours of sleep and I did cold boot it when I put on the charger. Tuesday's I golf and it is usually around 50% after golf when I use GolfShot and 35-40% at 9pm that night. I use Siri about 10-20 times per day.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's true on the iPhone as well (or any iDevice with a lithium ion battery for that matter).

19. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I don't know about dependency. I feel like if I had to go without my watch for a period of time I could do it because I will still get all of the information and notifications from my iPhone. Since I find the watch to be a thoroughly convenient and enjoyable accessory, I would not want to go without wearing it for long. If something happened to mine, I would buy another right away.

Sean

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I like mine so much I bought AppleCare+ (normally don't) just so I can wear it even when I shouldn't.

21. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I never thought the AW would be more than a novelty and something for me to use instead of my phone. Since I work from home (95% of the time) and leave my iPhone plugged in by a window for the best signal (live far out in the woods) I have no need. Plus, I have three routers in the house so I have strong coverage on all three levels and half of my yard.

Now, if my watch broke and wasn't covered under AC+, I would buy another one right away. I now use the watch 90% of the time and the iPhone only for phone calls, text conversations going back and forth, words with friends and to activate my weight lifting app and golf app but don't use the phone for them. The Apple Watch is so good and accurate for me that I can't think of a reason not to use it. Love it... once you get a long streak going completing all rings and getting the notification that you extended your streak, you don't want to miss.

22. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Wow.

Well I'm ever more impressed with the Watch battery then! I've never worn it in bed (except once when... merry) but this news makes me wonder whether this is now possible.

Are there apps that specifically use the Watch to monitor sleep? Do you use them? Or do you just wear the Watch for no reason?

23. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

I've only had mine for a little over a week. I already feel "naked" when I'm not wearing it. But for me it's less a dependency on the function, and more missing the feeling of it being on my wrist. I wore a mechanical watch for many, many years, and felt the same way when I went without it. I also feel naked without my wedding ring, or the necklace I wear every day. Being without my phone is a bit of a different feeling, for me.