Deployed, need some help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JReynolds, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

The base I'm stationed at thankfully has a wifi network set up around our living quarters. I was out of range in my room so I bought a wifi extender and 33ft of usb repeater cable. My extender is now up on the roof closer to the signal. I have internet on my MBP now!

What I'm trying to do is make my own little network for myself and the guys stuck at the wrong end of our sleeping quarters so everyone can connect without sitting outside in the 110 degree sun.

Like I said I have an extender and Airport is off. What do I need to do (is it possible) to set up something wireless from my MBP that these guys can see and connect to with a password?

-Josh

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Might not be possible since you are deployed but I was in a similar situation (needing range extended and having a Ethernet cable carrying a signal) and what i did was buy an Airport express ($69 from apple refurb store).

It can take the signal and rebroadcast it or you can create a new wireless network from it. I'm not sure there's a reliable way to share internet but you can try to use your Mbp to share. Head to sharing in preferences and choose your airport and select to wirelessly broadcast