Deployed, trying to talk to family back home.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I bought myself and my wife the iPhone 4 in hopes I would get some wifi to FaceTime while deployed. Turns out I have access occasionally! My problem is every time I try to initiate a FaceTime call it says failed almost immediately. If my wife initiates the call I'll see it pop up but fails when I answer.

What are some reasons for it to fail immediately for me and come through for her until I answer? Bandwidth on my end maybe?

Is FaceTime supported in... SW Asia? Would using HotSpot Shield VPN work if it's not supported here? (I'd try that now but due to time zone differences she's still working)

Thanks for any help

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Possibly:

- Bandwidth issue.

- Port blocking / Filtering.

- Hardware issue.

- iOS issue.

- WiFI router issue.

3. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

If you have 3G cell service I would suggest you jailbreak your iPhone 4. That way you can use facetime over 3G as well as wifi.

4. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Both our iPhones are JB and have facebreak on them. I'm thinking that might be part of the problem?

I just tried hotspot shield and the facetime rang much much longer than before but still failed. My wife isn't available to answer so I'm unsure if it's actually going through or not.

I'll probably restore both the iPhones and hope it is a JB issue.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try removing facebreak and see if that corrects it.
    If not just do a restore.

6. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do, I'll post results.

Thanks

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I know you want to use Facetime but have you considered using Skype? I know you won't be able to see your wife:( but it's better than nothing if you can't get Facetime to work.

Also, I'm not sure what Facebreak is but try using 3G Unrestrictor to get around the wifi requirement - that will eliminate one possible cause at least.

8. fairoasis macrumors member

I just got back last October, and the internet on post is janky at best. It seemed to go through cycles. I used Skype a lot when I was there. I wish you luck in figuring it out. Thanks for serving, and stay frosty!