Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Does anybody have any idea what the yearly depreciation rate of a mac is? I know that pc's are around 50% per year, but I've heard that macs hold their value substantially longer than pcs.

Thanks!

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
From a taxation point of view there is no difference. For resale purposes secondhand Macs tend to hold their value better than PCs but I wouldn't like to put a specific figure on the 'depreciation' rate.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
mfacey said:
Does anybody have any idea what the yearly depreciation rate of a mac is? I know that pc's are around 50% per year, but I've heard that macs hold their value substantially longer than pcs.

Thanks!
I am not sure what you are actually asking.. if you mean purely a resale value percentage decrease, there is no way to name a number. Each model and each configuration of it will be different. For instance, there are some models like the Cube and FlowerPower iMacs that sell for way more than their specs would suggest.

From an IRS standpoint, the previous poster is correct. It doesn't matter what the brand/model are, computers are 5-year listed property. Be they $399 Dells or quarter million dollar clusters.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Say for example if my house burns down ( :eek: ). Would I get more for a two year old mac (percentage wise) than a Dell of the exact same age from my insurance company?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mfacey said:
Say for example if my house burns down ( :eek: ). Would I get more for a two year old mac (percentage wise) than a Dell of the exact same age from my insurance company?
Depends on your insurance. Depends on the Mac's specs and the Dell's specs. In any event, you will probably not get enough back to cover buying a similar Mac, all your software, etc.

Because the Mac probably started off more expensive than the Dell, odds are you'd get more money. Just not enough.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
As far as I know my insurance is based on the new value of the machine. My insurance company (Axa) couldn't care less whether I'm running an IMac G5 or a PowerMac dual 2 G5. If they cost the same, they will still be worth the same amount after x years.

And as far as getting the money back for a new machine. It all depends on what kind of insurance you have. I have a policy lined up for when I buy a new Powerbook in Jan./Feb. which'll get me a new machine for the first 3 years, irrespective of what the cause of damage was! And all that for 100 euros per year (assuming a new powerbook will cost me the best part of 3000 euros!) :rolleyes:

I can already sense that my powerbook will mysteriously fall down the stairs when I feel like having a new one... :D

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
mfacey said:
I can already sense that my powerbook will mysteriously fall down the stairs when I feel like having a new one... :D
When you're in gaol for insurance fraud you'll probably be stuck using Windows :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.