depreciation question 5D Mk II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Jan 31, 2011.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Sometime this year, (in october ??), has been speculated that
    the Canon EOS 5D Mk II will be updated.

How much does the price drop when the new model comes out ??
    Is it like 50% ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav

2. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I doubt that it will go down with 50%... What's going to happen is that Canon will stop selling the mk II altogether, which will make it sellers market for the mk II.
    It's still the best semi-pro still camera they have in line, and there's no reason why hobbyists and the like wouldn't want to buy it. Especially those who might have been holding on to their mk I.

I think you will see a slight decrease in price, but not all the way to 50%.

On the other end I think that the mkIII will be slightly more expensive than the mk II as brand new, due to them might be putting raw video (<3 !!!) in the mk III.

But let's whip out the good ol' advice:

If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't... then wait. But don't expect an "affordable" 5D like with the mk II. That would be silly by Canon anyways, unless the proposed 1Ds mk IV is really as hot as speculated and comes out anytime soon.

You wanna buy my mk II? :p

3. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Prices falling?

Let's look at the prices for 5D and 5DmkII on Amazon:
    5D, new, body only: $2,698.95
    5DmkII, new, body only: $2,499.00
    B&H and Adorama don't have 5D, price for the 5DmkII (new, body only) is the same as on Amazon.
    Street price for 5DmkII when it was released in February of 2009 was $2,699.00.
    I don't think we'll see this price fall by more than maybe 10% ...

4. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

I think they only go 15-20% off on items they are replacing. Usually if you check B&H and a lens is on sale then Canon is about to replace it. If Canon sends out an email saying they are discounting lenses or cameras then they are usually going to update the product. Keep in mind that they haven't announced a 5D Mark IiI yet and they usually ship a month or two after announcements ;)

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Let's be real here, please. An excellent condition 5D runs you about $1,200 these days, perhaps a bit more. Anyone who pays over two thousand for a 5D now is a fool, unless there are exceptional circumstances involved.

The 5D Mark II will drop in value, but not a ton. It will still probably command about $1,800 or so on the used market, perhaps more, because the Mark III will be considerably higher and won't be available used.

You can rest assured that there will be a 5D Mark III later this year, probably in August/September, if they stick to the same schedule that brought the original 5D and 5D Mark II.

6. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

OP, what are the purpose of these threads? Why don't you either just buy a camera or do the research yourself, that you ask everyone else to do for you, on the dedicated photography forums?

Here is my failure to comprehend, regarding the OP. The OP, consistently starts "what if/ if I should buy/ should I wait/ will prices fall threads"? I realize that this is an open community & we should be here to help each other, but when do the Mods/ Powers that Be, determine enough is enough?

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=22603293

A quick search, turned up 12+ Threads, in the past 6 months alone that are about what should I buy/ will prices fall/ etc...by the OP...

I'm all for helping people, which is what I have done for a number of years now, both in person & online, but in the OP's case, I personally think he is full of crap, and wasting people's time. It doesn't take 6 months or a year, to decided which camera to buy. A camera is a tool, not a long term investment.

7. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

That is of course true, I was just trying to show, that you can still get them new, even though they're 6 years old now.
    Like Eaton Photos said, it's a stupid thread.

8. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

It'll be completely worthless. If you've got one, you should ship it to me when the new one is released.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

merkinmuffley will likely over-appreciate the worthless camera, you should instead ship it to me. I promise I will treat it like the pile of junk it will inevitably become.

But seriously, The price will not drop anywhere NEAR 50%. You can get a refurbished 5dII from Canon for $1,999 right now, when the mark III comes out, I imagine you could pick up good condition used 5dII's for $1,700 - $1,800.

10. wmcy macrumors member

I'm all for helping people, which is what I have done for a number of years now, both in person & online, but in the OP's case, I personally think he is full of crap, and wasting people's time.

IMHO, the OP has as much right to ask a question as anyone else. In fact there have been several worthwhile responses.

If one thinks the OP's post is a waste of time, simply ignore it and move on. It's really fairly simple....

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I wouldn't call the 5DmkII a semi-pro camera. There's no doubt that it's a pro camera.

I agree about the pricing though.

I also wouldn't get your hopes up regarding RAW video. They have a hard time as it is getting the current crop of cameras capturing video without overheating. Plus, getting cards that can write that much info in that time will tough. I think it'll eventually come, but I don't think they're even close right now.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

wmcy:In the future, let the code that creates a gray "quote" box be and don't replace it with a colored font like you did here. Someone who hadn't read all of the posts (like me) might interpret this as a snipe at the OP, and not at Eaton Photo. I almost reported you to the Mods. Be careful out there...:cool:

Eaton Photo: Please refrain from rude posts.

Dale

13. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

The 5D MkII won't drop a lot as the 5D MkIII will be much more expensive.

I'm planning to get a 5D MkII in March, I know it'll be 2 years old then but I don't care. It's still a good camera, like my 5D's are (4 + 5 years old!)

14. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Dale,

I would not consider my post' rude. I thought about what I was writing/ how I was phrasing it, and thus made a post based upon my own knowledge & information that I researched. However, if you read the OP's post', along with the dozen other plus, in the past 6 months, then you might see a pattern here. If the OP were to post this thread, and the same threads that have been posted here, on the Photo Forums (FM, POTN, Nikonians), the would likely get a warning, then receive a temporary ban. THIS MEMBER IS A TROLL, AND NOTHING BUT A TROLL. The OP's questions, have been answered over & over again.

I have opened every thread the OP has started, just to see what they are asking. And just like the other threads, the OP's questions are based on either rumors or lack of research. If the OP were actually interested in photography, then the OP would take the time, to do the proper research themselves.

Here, regarding the OP's post', the question is ridiculous. Never has a New Generation body, forced its previous Generation sibling to drop near 50%. That is a ridiculous question. As I stated before, I have never met a single person (either online or in person), that has spent 6 months to a year, deciding on a body/ platform.

15. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My post was meant to address the reply by wmcy. I tacked that comment regarding you on because I thought that telling anyone that they are full of crap and wasting people's time in public is rude.

Lots of people open threads about gear in all the MR subforums. This one isn't the first and won'r be the last.

Just my 2bits

Dale

16. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Gotcha. I do not wonder into too many of the Sub-forums. I stick to the areas, where I have knowledge & experience, and that's it. :cool:

17. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Basically the original 5D is worth about 44% less now, 2 years later than it did @ release.

When the MKIII comes out Canon will halt production of the MK II.

Which kind of sucks because my 5D MKII will be worth about $1,200 in another year. BUT I wont need to upgrade for another four years (at least) so when I do need to by a new body, I will be able to get a used 5D MK IV for cheap.

You have to remember how much bodies depreciate in value. Especially when the newer better version comes out. I wonder if I still had it how much I could get for my original 20D? Probably about $200 maybe?.... and I paid like $1700

18. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you very much for all your posts : ) !!! I really appreciate them !!!

I am a graduate student and a camera like this one, or its upgrade, would
    be wonderful to use for my field research : ) !!! I am in quite a bit of a debt
    already. I am also at the moment living in a foreign country where the
    economy is not helping a lot.

Searching on the internet, I found that some people in the past had gotten the camera from 5% to 29% lower than the current price. For a working professional and for many people, the depreciation may not be be an issue.

I have asked my questions in different forums, including this one, and even if the question had relation to a previous question, there were always new insights and, or, new people who wanted to comment on the question.

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!