Depth of Field in iPhoto - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadboyHouse, May 10, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

As per the title really - does iPhoto on the mac let you add depth of field to photos?

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

No.

Quite honestly, I'd trust nothing but a camera to do that right.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

4. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

Add depth of field means add depth of field, as a larger depth of field. No other way I can see to interpret what the OP said, and physically impossible to do in software.

Even interpreted your way, if you could add some natural looking blur in software, people wouldn't pay $1400 for an 85mm 1.4, $2500 for a 70-200 2.8, and well into 5-figures for 1.0 and 1.2 primes.

So no, you have to nail dof in camera.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not in any real sense. Adding DoF means adding detail back to front that is not there. You need to have shot the photo with a lense setting that captured that detail in the 1st place.

Adding blur to a photo with lots of DoF (i.e. lots of details back to front) to mimic less DoF is probably possible. Lots of SW descriptions claim to be able to do this. I have no personal experience with these SW packages as I'm kinda old fashioned and shoot with the DoF I want.