DeRez -i "???"

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by zeppenwolf, May 18, 2010.

1. zeppenwolf macrumors regular

zeppenwolf

I'm trying to copy (/update) my project from 10.2.8 over to my new MBP running 10.6.x, and I'd like to be able to still compile and twiddle the working Carbon build.

So, guessing that the greatest programming tool of all time, (ResEdit), will have trouble running on 10.6, I'm trying to turn the few ".rsrc" ResEdit files of the project into Rez/DeRez ".r" files.

Well, I can run DeRez fine from terminal, but no matter what I try to "-i" iinclude, I can't get anything other than hexadecimal default junk.

For one thing, the includes all seem to assume that the program reading them has pbproj/xcode ability to go through nearly unlimited depths of redirect: Types.r includes <Carbon/Carbon.r>, which in turn includes other things... which goes on and on at least six levels before I quit counting.

As far as testing goes, I try using "-i" with:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MacTypes.r

just to get to "MacTypes.r" which actually has Rez definitions, but even then, out of the few types declared there, a "vers" ResEdit resource still comes out as 'I-don't-have-a-clue' Rez hexidecimal junk.

Am I missing something? ( LOL, I'll bet I am, more than a once! )