Des Moines, Iowa has 3G!!! At Least Today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jazz1, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

A co-worker clued me in to turn on my 3G today. Sure enough the 3G icon was on. I had the Wifi turned on, and had to initially turn it off to get 3G. The rest of the day it found 3G on the East side of town all the way into West Des Moines. Lost 3G a few times deep in a building which was a printing plant.

It did nicely transition to and from 3G as I went to places in and out of Wifi hotspots that I had access to. I also got on the Starbucks ATT Wifi using that neat Easy-Wi Fi application.

What a day for upgrades, got a new iPhone case, 3G, and my Squeezebox Boom found an firmware upgrade ;)

I hope 3G is really here and they were just not testing it. I was impressed with the speed over the Edge network, as long as the signal strength was there. Battery gulping? Maybe? I had the PowerSlide case on most of the day so it was hard to tell.

2. sau124 macrumors member

Any ideas on when we will have 3G in Ankeny, IA? It sucks that Ankeny is just 5 miles from the 80/35 interchange and we do not have 3G here wherein the former has full 3G reception.

Is AT&T only targeting interstates?

3. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Hey, beam some of that 3G love north about 2 hours!!:D

4. christyn macrumors 6502a

It's been in Des Moines for a good 5-6 months now...

5. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure they flipped the switch in Des Moines the same time they did it in Cedar Rapids, which if I remember correctly was like last December.

Maybe they've been having network problems lately? This is AT&T we're talking about after all. ;)

6. toughluck macrumors member

The OP posted this in December of last year. so yea 5 or 6 months ago.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thread necro delivers the lulz. :D

8. TLewis macrumors 65816

Not even that, probably.

If you look at the AT&T 3G coverage viewer, AT&T seems to be covering major metropolitan areas only, at least around Ankeny, like: Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Omaha. Still, there's room for hope; last year, the 3G service around my town looked like that, and there was no 3G service on the freeways. Today, the 3G service area around me has been greatly expanded, and 3G coverage exists on most freeways. (Of course, the actual coverage does not really match with the coverage viewer, as there are dropout spots and black holes, but the 3G area really has expanded.)

(Yes, I know that this is an old thread, but I'm responding to a post an hour or two old. :D )

9. sau124 macrumors member

you might be right with the expansion schedules but I have seen so many places where there is 3G in downtown but nothing in the suburbs, how long do you think it would take for them to cover at least all the suburbs to tick off the city. I think AT&T shouldn't advertise Des Moines as 3G as decent suburbs other than the west side don't have 3G...