Describe the dream MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macneophyte09, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macneophyte09 macrumors newbie

I'm a PC. However, my true love is Apple (products). Anyway, once my checkbook catches up my "heart" I will be the proud owner of a 15" or 17" Power Book. My questions are as follows:

1) How would you describe the perfect (Apple) Laptop?

2) Who is the typical Mac user? Are they creative professionals?

3) If Apple stopped making laptops would you switch to a PC laptop or would you continue upgrading your Mac until all parts were obsolete and you could no longer upgrade

4) Name one thing you wish Apple would add to their laptops

5) Name one thins you wish Apple would drop from their laptops

6) Does Apple nickle and dime their users when it comes to purchasing laptops?

7) What's the best thing about owning a MacBook?

8) What's the worst thing about owning a MacBook?

I genuinely welcome everyone' feedback. As I mentioned previously, I'm a PC who would like to understand more about the Mac Mystique. As I continue saving I should be able to afford that Mac Pro Book within a matter of months.

Thanks in advance

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

1) 12" Powerbook, with a backlit keyboard ;)

2) College students

3) Already switched back. I don't like Apple's attitude of telling me what I want/need

4) full size DVI port

5) Glossy screens!

6) No more then any other company

7) OS X

8) that is scratches/dents easily, and that the windows drivers for it suck

Now I have a question for you. Why did you just call yourself a PC? Are you a cyborg or something?:confused:

3. JayKay321 macrumors member

1. One that works without having to be exchanged on multiple occasions. :rolleyes:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

1) How would you describe the perfect (Apple) Laptop? Made from high impact plastic, black, 15 inch screen and a dedicated video card.

2) Who is the typical Mac user? Are they creative professionals? Most people I know are creative professionals.

3) If Apple stopped making laptops would you switch to a PC laptop or would you continue upgrading your Mac until all parts were obsolete and you could no longer upgrade I would keep it til it died.

4) Name one thing you wish Apple would add to their laptops Matte screens. The glossy is awful.

5) Name one thins you wish Apple would drop from their laptops Glossy screens.

6) Does Apple nickle and dime their users when it comes to purchasing laptops? I don't think so.

7) What's the best thing about owning a MacBook? OS X

8) What's the worst thing about owning a MacBook? No video card in the MacBooks, when all laptops pre-Intel had them.

5. macneophyte09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Loving the feedback!

No, I'm not a cyborg or something. Calling myself a "PC" is my way of paying homage to those wack "I'm a PC, I'm a MAC" commercial. And BTW, those commercials did not convert me!

Barriers to me owning a Mac has been the expense factor. Steve Job's stinginess when it comes offering peripherals and meaningful discounts, the fact that most corporations use Windows and the circulation of a popular urban myth which declared unless you're in Education or in the Creative field you should not get a MAC since their software offerings are limited. I know that's not the case.

6. stashu macrumors newbie

Black anodized aluminum, with those Pismo curves again.

7. kabunaru Guest

8. macneophyte09 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

aluminum macbook + firewire port = dream macbook

10. nonick macrumors member

hi, my answers below

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Macbook Pro Specs

Macbook screen size

Macbook air thinness

no super drive necessary

12. pesc macrumors regular

MacBook Air with MATTE screen, 2 USB ports, at least 4GB RAM, at least 160 GB disk. Easily upgradable battery (maybe it's easy already, I havent tried).

Screen resolution should be higher to give me more pixels. OS X is becoming resolution independent, right?

And fix the screen bezel to make the footprint SMALLER than a regular MacBook!

Don't know. Anybody who wants something pleasant to work with.

After a while I would switch back to a Linux laptop.

built-in 3G card slot.

No, but bring back matte screen option. I would pay extra for a professional screen.

No, but they don't build nickle-and-dime laptops either.

OS X

Not too many hardware options.

13. kolax macrumors G3

1. 13.3" MacBook Pro with 1440x900 resolution screen (or there abouts), exact same style as the late 2008 models.

2. Anyone really - as long as they are cool ;)

3. I'd install OS X on a PC (aka Hackintosh). The day that stops working I'd go nuts!

4. FireWire 800 (two please, since you kindly chopped off the 400).

5. Optical drive - I'd be happy carrying around a USB one.

6. Just a bit.

7. It is sexy!

8. I want an all black aluminium MacBook Pro :(

To summarise - I'd love a 13.3" MacBook Pro that was all black aluminium with two FireWire 800 ports and two USB ports that are slightly further apart (talking mm's here) so you can connect two peripherals without the need of extension cables.

14. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Just get rid of the optical drive, and everything will be better.

One that gets rid of the optical drive like the Air, however has a thinner bezel and therefore a larger screen, like 14 inch with 1440x900 pixels. Could be a tad thicker than the Air, but still thinner than the Macbook (Pro), to make heat distribution better and allow faster CPU's. 4 GB of RAM. One pound lighter than the Macbook.

I'd love to have the Macbook Pro with the same omission of the optical drive. 4 pounds, 16 inch screen with 1650x1050 resolution (again simply by omitting the enormous bezel), 0.8 inches thick.

I know many still want the optical drive, but in only a few years they'll be looked at as floppy disks are today.

15. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Why are we having this again? Its not like Apple is going to ever produce what we want? I know its fun to speculate and such but isn't this a bit of pointless since Apple won't update their MB or MBP for quite a while?

16. kolax macrumors G3

Gives us something to talk about until then ;)

17. Zw42a macrumors member

That would be the current MacBook Pro with a unibody classic design (one color), choice in matte screen and choice in dropping the optical drive.

I don't think there is but OS X is being used mostly in the creative industry because it fits most peoples workflow, I guess.

3) If Apple stopped making laptops would you switch to a PC laptop or would you continue upgrading your Mac until all parts were obsolete and you could no longer upgrade

Then I would buy Apple desktops. OS X is the best platform for me and their hardware never let me down.

Matte screens!

Glossy screens!:(

While it would be nice to get an Apple Remote with your laptop I don't think it's necesairly. The same goes with the graphics adapters (they don't come with the new MBP, right?). It is luxury but I'm really happy I got both with my MBP SR!

Running OS X. But I would never go Hackintosh because Apple's hardware showed me what they're worth in the last 9 years.
    I'm slightly worried about this in the future but that's a different story.;)

Back in the days it was compatibilty with other platforms (Windows) but I don't see any problems today.

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

1) "It just works"

2) I'd say college students, possibly creative ones. ;)

3) Only if I could get OSX running comfortably on them or if Win7 will be as good as I hope. I sure as hell don't want XP on anything.

4) Better LCD panels. This is partially the panel manufacturer's fault too, but I'd like to see 8-bit S-PVA or S-IPS panels on at least the Macbook Pro. Viewing angles are more critical on a laptop so why do we have these crappy TN-panels on them?

5) Proprietary connectors that need overpriced adapters.

6) Yes. Since you will need adapters for external displays, they should at least include the basic ones (at the moment DVI and VGA).

7) OSX, but the new trackpad is pretty darn cool too.

8) All the unexpected little hardware/quality problems it seems. I don't own a Macbook yet but plan to buy one, just waiting if the quality goes up since the ones I've tried have had the same issues mentioned many times on these forums.

19. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

The Best Macbook Ever!

1) Black carbon fiber case, 50mm thin, 13" HD screen, 1TB HardDrive, 8GB RAM, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, massive multitouch trackpad, 3 weeks battery life, glowing :apple: logo which can be customized to change it's colour, accelerometer to play games, screen which flips out 180 degrees so you can play games with the accelerometer, built in printer, built in 200w speakers and costing only £499 :D

20. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

and your MBP killer, lol;)

21. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I would really like them to turn the trackpad into a trackpad/Wacom tablet hybrid thing, and with a slot to store a stylus (kind of like a DS). This way you could draw or take handwritten notes without needing to purchase an external tablet :p.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

An all black aluminum MacBook Pro with processor speeds up to 3.0GHz and comes with 8GB of RAM by default. The second they release that, I'll be at my local Apple Store with my credit card.

The typical Mac user in my opinion is a student/younger person that saw a cool ad and wanted to go out and buy one.

If Apple stopped making laptops, I'd buy a PC laptop one once mine became obsolete or too slow to handle the latest and greatest (after a RAM and Hard Drive upgrade of course) or just consider an iMac/Mac Pro.

Matte Displays

Glossy displays

Pretty much so.

It's a great computer with desktop speeds, but can come with you anywhere you go.

Knowing that there is an iMac with better speeds for the same price as your machine out there.

23. MBPDiva macrumors regular

The perfect MBP would come complete with OS X and Windows XP married perfectly so I could use my windows apps. Also, Apple's immunity to virus would also cover Windows on the machine. Is that too much to ask? :p

I'm a professional graphic artist who still owns a PC to do much of my graphic work on. I bought the MBP because I heard it was great for graphics artists. But to tell you the truth, I haven't tested it with any of my workhouse apps like Photoshop CS3. I use my MBP for recreational use and for surfing the web while I do my real work on my PC.

I still have my PC desktop so switching to a PC laptop would be no skin off my nose.

Windows XP

The battery. Mine only gives me about 3.5 hours of intense use and then it has to be recharged. It seems to me that it could be designed to last at least 8 hours before needing a recharge.

Is the sky blue?! :p

Definitely the DASHBOARD! But also the ease of use, no virus or spyware, no blue screens of death, no freezing or crashing, the iTunes player, the Safari browser.

The heating issue is a major problem. I wish Apple would fix whatever it is that's causing the heat to build up inside the case. Also, Apple doesn't have enough great apps that are comparable to Windows apps. Most of Apple's apps aren't freely available to download online like Windows apps. You have to purchase everything which sucks. :(