Deserted Apple Watch tables

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Benjamin Frost, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Went into Regent Street London yesterday, two days before Christmas.

This is a huge store, one of the largest in the world. The shop, as usual was full of people. The Apple Watch tables were deserted. Literally not one person looking. It was bizarre, as all the other tables were busy; as though there was some force field keeping everyone away. I have to say, I didn't find the presentation attractive. With all Macs and iStuff, you can pick them up, play with them, they're at a nice height, etc. The watches are all behind glass in neat rows looking forlorn. There are too many of them, and they all look the same. You can't feel them, they look just like any old jewellers.

I then went to Covent Garden, another huge store. Buzzing. Here, there were two or three people being helped by staff at the watch tables, though they were still otherwise empty.

Anecdotal, I know, but I don't think Apple want this lack of interest in their newest product in prime shopping season.

2. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

It could just be the nature of the product. One can only look so much, and there are typically only s few display models. Comparatively each every iPhone and iPad can be interacted with.

The Apple Watch is not apples most popular product, not even close. That being said, sales at target and bestbuy have been extremely strong this season, from what I have heard.

3. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I've always seen watches being sold at Apple Stores.

I could go across the hall at the mall to the luxury traditional watch shop and see nothing being sold for hours on end. I wonder how they pay their rent.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

A lot of those people are in there just to play with stuff to begin with. You can't play with the watches, and just looking gets really boring real fast. That's why they're mostly deserted.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I have to say that I saw the same thing here in Maryland during the summer. Strange, but I do think it is what the other posters have mentioned- they are behind glass so it puts a certain distance between the product and shoppers.

6. Accord3 macrumors member

I agree with tardman above in that you can't have a play with the :apple:watch like you can with any other :apple: product. When i purchased my :apple:watch i had to ask a member of staff to get one out for me to have a quick play.
    I always find the kids huddled around the iPhones just playing like its a social club, they probably have one in their pockets anyway!
    Back to your point, i don't see lots of people in Goldsmiths or other jewellers looking at the analogue watches in there either.

7. Ries, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

Ries macrumors 68000

Huge margins, low numbers. They don't need to sell millions of devices to recoup their production lines.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Anyone with sense would be shunning the Apple Store and buying them from John Lewis or Currys/PC World because they have a £50 discount in their stores.

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Agreed, same goes for Best Buy, target, etc.

I love the Apple Store, but it largely serves as a large demo and showcase for Apple products and accessories, as more often than not you can find a discount on said products elsewhere.

I have to say though, I am enjoying the Apple Watch this far, even though I have only had it for a few days. I had bought one once before, and retuned it, as I couldn't justify the cost; but i also didn't give it but a few days. It was an impulse buy and return.

Wife got me the Apple Watch because I wanted a good fitness tracker (Microsoft band) or running watch. I always run with my phone, for the music, so she figured she would get me the Apple Watch, since it was discounted to the same price as the Microsoft band 2, and better integrated with iOS. She did well.

That being said, it won't replace my dress watches, and i don't think I would pay full retail.

Merry Christmas everyone.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Come to think of it, when I was at the Apple Store yesterday, as I passed by the table of Apple Watches on the way in and out, there wasn't anyone at it. The store was indeed crowded with many people huddled around the Macs, iPhone's and iPad's.

11. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Makes sense. It's the nature of watches in all stores, not just the Apple Watch.

12. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I look at the message count in the Apple Watch forum here on MacRumors. There are only 11,100 threads. Clearly, it's a colossal failure.

Seriously, it sounds like you're reading tea leaves the way we used to try and figure out which Politburo official was in favor by analyzing who was standing closest to the Premier at the May Day parade. (Andropov, Next-to-drop-off...)

13. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I believe Apple do price match promotions like this? Not automatically, but if you do mention John Lewis has it for £50 off I'm pretty sure they match it.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's interesting to note how sensitive and emotionally connected AW owners are. Defensive almost to the extreme, the lengths they go to in order to "prove" the need for the product is revealing.

Instead of being calm and accepting of the AW modest sales, they attack those who doubt it's relevance.

AW is a decent product for the niche market it is created for. That it's not a blockbuster success seems to be the thorn in the side of the devotees that claim they can't live without it.

15. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

It also seems those who view the Apple Watch as unnecessary, seem to be driven to prove so. It goes both ways, so don't try and make one side look worse than the other.

Just got the Apple Watch. Great for running and convenience, but a luxury, and not s necessary one. I like mine, and most likely will keep it, but that doesn't meant I'm sworn to it. It's overpriced for what it does at the moment. Lucky, I got it on a good sale.

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I pre-ordered the SS model with enthusiasm. Arrived early and made a pretty good first impression prior to the thorough evaluation I performed.

One primary reason I returned it was that it failed to meet my most basic needs when running. A very active amateur athlete, I hoped it could live up to Apple's claims. All data collected while running, was shockingly inaccurate. Yet it turns out so we're my fellow runners AW's.

So back to my wonderful, totally accurate SUUNTO AMBIT 3.

Once again proving Apple's brilliance is marketing and hype. Living up to their claims seems to be their weakness.

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Product...5q_veUGcdmSSexsZ5SFx3gTxnmZGaGvup7BoCywXw_wcB

17. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Maybe I am not aware of the inaccuracies?

I am fairly new to the running scene, I gave up dedicated weight lifting, for s new experience. I love running

Anyway, my iPhone is always hooked to my body when running, via a running belt. I use run keeper, and find the Apple Watch to interface with it well.

I got the Apple Watch cheaper than most gps watched used on eBay. I've only taken it on a few runs over the last few days, but so far so good.

The Apple Watch, especially the SS, is over priced. But I figured since I, luckily, got it cheaper than the Microsoft band 2....I figured it was worth the cost.

I'll give it a month, if I don't like it, ill return it again ( returned an Apple Watch months ago, before OS 2).

18. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

And their limo driver, Pikkov Andropov…

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've only seen anyone at the Apple Store looking at watches earlier this year when I bought my rMBP. Every other trip to the Apple Store, the watch tables have been empty. I think it's simply the way they're presented.

20. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I'm obsessed with wristwatches in general, ordered my Apple Watch online within seconds after it became available. I don't see any reason why I would look through glass at a watch I already own.

We now live in a world where we can order an Apple (a piece of fruit) and get it delivered to our door within hours

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Not only do you get discounts if you buy elsewhere you actually have the space to try things out in a more relaxed environment. My nearest Apple Store is the one in Stratford Westfield and it is always packed. I have an authorised Apple reseller is about the same distance away and you can go in there and actually test things out as it isn't that busy.

22. sheareb macrumors member

I asked this very question in-store and the max they could go to was 10% discount on the watch.
    They wouldn't discount on Applecare+ either - seems a bit daft really when you would *think* they would make more profit on items sold in their own stores