Design a new, better notification system

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ExnomenDei, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Yes, I know everything Apple makes is perfect. Now leave this thread.

Still here? So, Apple's design paradigm for notifications sucks. It is inconvenient in the way it pops up, there is no backlog of any kind, and there are no notifications outside of a missed phone call that you can see outside of the home screen.

I know Notified Pro exists. I have yet to really try it, but that is a different discussion altogether.

How would you design and implement a completely software-based alternative to the current way notifications work? Let's do some of Apple's work for them!

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Another no brainer is lock screen information, for the life of me I cannot begin to fathom why Apple wouldn't figure out a way to put important information and notifications on the lock screen. Email, text messages, weather, etc etc.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I think that having weather and stuff would be too much information but some texts and missed calls could be useful.

What could be done is like just like put a little like message logo if you had a text and when you touch it, it would bring up like the mail in iPad in portrait mode. Could b a bit annoying though with miss taps and going to the top of the screen but just an idea.

4. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

I'll tell you the one thing that I would like to see: the ability to use the iOS as a mini-desktop! Nothing too fancy, just somewhere that I can save files. At the very least, be able to save documents to my desktop, to then be accessed by the program of my choice. I think it would really help, especially with things like PDF's, instead of having to bounce them back and forth between different apps. Just give the apps access to anything saved on the 'desktop' and it would make life much easier.

5. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

It's all about being patient because Apple likes to take their time and come out with something extraordinary rather than just releasing it.

Just be patient and within a update we will see it.

6. lozpop macrumors 6502

At an Apple event back in Spring, in the Q&A session, a person asked why Apple left the Lockscreen of the iPad "empty", without taking full advantage of the big display.
    Steve Jobs answered that they started to sell the iPad on Saturday, and on Sunday they rested. "We're just at the beginning", he said, or something similar.

So I think we only have to be very — VERY — patient, because we Apple users know very well how some things take to be announced.
    Just look at the iPhone, from 2007 until the iPhone 4.

7. HXGuy macrumors 68000

LockInfo will do it all for your, it's awesome and solves the problem so I don't see what the problem really is. :)

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

apple hired a guy who used to work for palm and he designed Web OS and palm notification system. I am sure it will be improved in iOS 5.0 or later.
    The improvement will never stop and it will continue to get better and better. Happy now? Stop whining.

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Apple Consumer Electronics should have bought Palm, at least that is what I think.

1. WebOS Notification system is superior
    2. WebOS Multitasking interface is far, far superior
    3. More patents to their collection

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i would also like the little drop down menu when u touch the wifi symbol from webos to come, going to settings, to wifi, then turn it off is such a pain

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The problem starts when you have many apps running and pushing notifications at the same time.

Some times two notifications of two different apps suck as Facebook and IM+ come at the same time and you don't get to see what both said, so you should be able to see them all like in a dropdown menu or something integrated with multitasking.

I don't think this is in Apple's mind, since Push Notifications have been out for almost a year and a half.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

try sbsettings

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They tried to. The price was too high for them. They hired the creator of their notification system instead :)