Design Change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ragga123, Jul 31, 2010.

1. ragga123 macrumors newbie

Obviously if anyone thought there would be a design change coming Q4 2010 or 2011, there would be some info on the site, but I really don't want to spend like $2000 - $3000 and find out that they are changing the design soon... frustrating part of apple..

So... has anyone heard or think there will be a complete design change for MB Pro this year? I am not talking about internal spec refreshes.

2. Lokrado macrumors regular

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Honestly, what design change do you want? I'm not one to hype Apple needlessly, but in terms of physical design, I think they're pretty close to perfect on the MBP and could only improve by adding more ports and a blu-ray drive.

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

wait if you want the redesign

i <3 the current one

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The previous design lasted for 5 years, so I have no idea where you got that number from.

6. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

He's talking about
    Aluminium Powerbook 2003-2006
    Aluminium MacBook Pro 2006- Late 2008
    Unibody Al Macbook Pro 2008- Late 2010?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There was not really a design change between the PowerBook and the MacBook Pro, it was more a refinement and to accommodate the Intel architecture.

8. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

Perhaps, but I think that's what the person I quoted meant.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the OP is thinking wrong, as the change from PowerBook to MBP was mostly internal (PPC to x86) and the Unibody design is here to stay for quite a while, especially since the process of manufacturing those designs must have been quite expensive at first.

Btw, there were some small cosmetic changes in the June 2009 update - removal of ExpressCard slot on 15", adding of FW port to the 13", adding of SD card slot to 13" and 15". If that is what the OP means, it isn't really clear, than there might be several changes until the next big redesign.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=843876
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=964633 - July 10th, 2010
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=971562 - July 19th, 2010

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

No idea, but would say with the amount of money they would have put into the R&D for the unibody plus setting up for manufacturing it, I wouldn't expect another redesign for at least 2-3 years, especially as it beats any of the windows laptop designs IMO

11. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

this design is going to be around until 2013...

well im hoping anytime after june 2012 thats when my applecare ends

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I wonder what the designers do then when you have the same design for years.

13. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

How about nano engineering and manufacturing a unibody 75% lighter? Now Toshiba has a three pound 13" laptop like Sony, only it's just $800 at Best Buy.

The MBP's are fat and heavy.

Get off the gadget kick and do some serious 2010 nano engineering on these things.

Could be a quarter inch thinner too. The next 13" MBP should break through the three pound barrier. Three quarter inch thick and about 2.7 pounds.

BTW, does Apple plan to be the last manufacturer to offer USB 3.0 ports? They already grabbed the HDMI title in that category.
    --