Design Change

ragga123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Obviously if anyone thought there would be a design change coming Q4 2010 or 2011, there would be some info on the site, but I really don't want to spend like $2000 - $3000 and find out that they are changing the design soon... frustrating part of apple..

So... has anyone heard or think there will be a complete design change for MB Pro this year? I am not talking about internal spec refreshes.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Obviously if anyone thought there would be a design change coming Q4 2010 or 2011, there would be some info on the site, but I really don't want to spend like $2000 - $3000 and find out that they are changing the design soon... frustrating part of apple..

So... has anyone heard or think there will be a complete design change for MB Pro this year? I am not talking about internal spec refreshes.
Honestly, what design change do you want? I'm not one to hype Apple needlessly, but in terms of physical design, I think they're pretty close to perfect on the MBP and could only improve by adding more ports and a blu-ray drive.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Perhaps, but I think that's what the person I quoted meant.
Then the OP is thinking wrong, as the change from PowerBook to MBP was mostly internal (PPC to x86) and the Unibody design is here to stay for quite a while, especially since the process of manufacturing those designs must have been quite expensive at first.

Btw, there were some small cosmetic changes in the June 2009 update - removal of ExpressCard slot on 15", adding of FW port to the 13", adding of SD card slot to 13" and 15". If that is what the OP means, it isn't really clear, than there might be several changes until the next big redesign.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/843876/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/964633/ - July 10th, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/971562/ - July 19th, 2010

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
No idea, but would say with the amount of money they would have put into the R&D for the unibody plus setting up for manufacturing it, I wouldn't expect another redesign for at least 2-3 years, especially as it beats any of the windows laptop designs IMO

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
this design is going to be around until 2013...

well im hoping anytime after june 2012 thats when my applecare ends

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Honestly, what design change do you want? I'm not one to hype Apple needlessly, but in terms of physical design, I think they're pretty close to perfect on the MBP and could only improve by adding more ports and a blu-ray drive.

How about nano engineering and manufacturing a unibody 75% lighter? Now Toshiba has a three pound 13" laptop like Sony, only it's just $800 at Best Buy.

The MBP's are fat and heavy.

Get off the gadget kick and do some serious 2010 nano engineering on these things.

Could be a quarter inch thinner too. The next 13" MBP should break through the three pound barrier. Three quarter inch thick and about 2.7 pounds.

BTW, does Apple plan to be the last manufacturer to offer USB 3.0 ports? They already grabbed the HDMI title in that category.
--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.