Design flaw on my iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Oct 23, 2011.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

There's a small portion on the very right side of the screen that seems like it's not fully glued on. I initially thought that it was my screen protector not being afixed completely, but I removed it and it appears that it's the screen itself not completely glued on. When the apple store gets more iPhones, do you think I can go in and get a new one? Should I even bother? it's like a centimeter off.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

A centimeter?! Ouch! :D

Did you mean millimeter?

I'd think you'd have a good chance of getting it exchanged either way.

3. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

yes, I meant a few millimeters. lol.

How long can I wait before I can have it replaced? The reason I don't want to do it right away is because I want to just walk in and have them have it there to do a quick swap rather than wait, go there, have them examine it, then have them order it, then I have to go back and get it.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. So 1 year.

6. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

if it isn't a huge problem I would save the excuse for the time when you really need a replacement such as deteriorate battery.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes I'd say your manufacturing defect will score you a new iPhone around 10 months from now :D

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Huh? He's telling you that a design flaw isn't the same as a manufacturing defect (which this is).

9. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

hmm yeah. I hope they don't screw me out of one because it's been so long or they say its because of wear and tear or something.

----------

True. But then, that would be a separate case altogether!

----------

Oh that's what I meant.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I would get it in there right away. If they don't have a phone to swap for you immediately, at least you'll have the problem documented for when you have to return.

11. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Whats the advantage of doing it right away vs later if it's covered within a year?

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you're still going to have to go to the genius bar for them to examine it regardless.

13. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

The difference is going in once versus twice. If it's in stock, I won't have to go back again another time.

14. bluez3 macrumors member

the urgency of your response directly correlates to the severity of the percieved issue. if you were able to live with the defect for close to a year, then it is likely percieved by the genius to not be an issue regardless if you spoted it day one but did nothing about it.

also other stuff can happen in a year that they could likely blame you for and deny coverage.

15. imeth macrumors regular

they do have in stock.. Apple have these backup iphones for this purpose.. you won't get a brand new out of the box.. it's a blackbox

16. lickitysplit macrumors regular

Are you referring to the plastic trim around the glass, or the glass itself?

17. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

What's a blackbox? Is it a refurb?

----------

The glass itself looks like it's not affixed completely.

----------

How can they know that you spotted it one year ago? It could be coming off after a few months.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just take action now.

Apple has terrific customer service.

If you wait, it's on you.

19. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

What's on me? I understand that I should bring it in soon but the warranty is for 1 year. What's the difference if I bring it in today versus in a week or a month? It's the same defect.

20. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Wait until you have a weak battery, scratched up case and screen etc. Then get a new one for free. Perfectly legit. :rolleyes:

21. 305rob305 macrumors member

I would go now! If you wait more than 30 days you'll end up with a refurbished one