Design my hard drive solution!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fivepoint, Jan 15, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Ok... here is the deal. As soon as the new iMacs are released, I am going to be buying a brand new iMac with a 750 GB hard drive. On this new iMac, I will have around 40GB of music, 40GB of photos, 300GB of Movies, etc.

I am looking for the best possible solution for backing up that content. I was planning on simply using a single 750GB hard drive and backing it up with Time Machine, but then someone mentioned something a bout RAID which would allow me to have even more safety backup, and I also know that some people would suggest creating a bootable clone of the hard drive every week or so...

What do you recommend? If you got this new machine, and had the extra money to back it up securely.... what woudl you do? What hardware woudl you buy, what software would you use (time machine, etc.)?

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I will be buying soon hopefully!

2. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Backup (archival) and redundancy go hand in hand. Any solution you design should be built around this. Get a RIAB (raid in a box) solution like WD's MyBook Pro or HP Media Vault. I have both prefer the HP MV but it's ugly so I store it in a closet whereas the MyBook Pro is on my desk and has FW800 so speed isn't an issue.

If you're clever enough, build yourself one from spare parts.

3. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Ok... can you please explain to me how RAID works? Redundancy just refers to it being independently backed up in different locations right?

How can two hard drives (plugged into the same power outlet) be a good idea?

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

What does everyone think about the new Time Capsule option? I am also in need of a wireless router, so this could be perfect!?!?!

But this is not a RAID solution right? So how about redundancy?

5. GregE macrumors 6502