Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
2034697267_152259d2fb_b.jpg

PDF HERE

On the job hunt now. I comprised my current print portfolio. Comments welcomed!! All designs shown are original and photography done by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
Very nice work!!
I really love the fact that you chose to photograph your print pieces versus just using the original files - gives it an extra dimension that really shows off the work much better.

If I had any constructive feedback, it would be maybe to make "Matthew Clark" and "Design Portfolio" the same width and center the 'box' those are in vertically with the stripe going across ... but that's minor stuff.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I agree with one3.

Good job!

The only thing I would change would be to put a vertical strip on the left or right of the photo pages to break it up a bit.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Some great work there!

My only thought is that aside from the pdf page titles, there is no client or media info. Perhaps a small title on the inital page of each project with client and/or media info would make it a little clearer visually.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
one comment

I am not sure if you wanted to just bundle all your pieces together to get the portfolio together, but thats a lot of pieces to send to prospective client. I think maybe you should cut it down to 10 pieces. Good overall layout and composition nice lighting on the pieces.

Claytoniss

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Denver
I am not sure if you wanted to just bundle all your pieces together to get the portfolio together, but thats a lot of pieces to send to prospective client. I think maybe you should cut it down to 10 pieces. Good overall layout and composition nice lighting on the pieces.

Agreed here, send the best of your best!

How many years you been in the profession?

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
thanks

for all the suggestions, I am going to work on a cover page for each project and explain the project, software, media etc.

I have been a graphic designer for about 3 years, self taught both design and photography

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Hey looks good - two images pop out as repetitive to me- The Habitat for Hope Logo and the third Crimson Counseling Stationary. You can see both of those clearly in the other photos, so I don't think they are absolutely necessary.

Over all it looks very sharp and clean though.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Before downloading it, I can tell that I really like the way you present your work, with photographs.

I really don't like your cover page, though. It seems pretty lackluster compared to your work. Drop shadows aren't much fun anymore. Try something a bit more sleek and modern with a more unified colour scheme. For example, it looks like you took all of your photos on a dark hardwood floor... try to work that into your colour scheme. Something earthy, or maybe another photo for the cover. The ideal cover would be something like a photo of "MATTHEWCLARKDESIGNPORTFOLIO" engraved into dark hardwood, but I guess that's wishful thinking.

I guess I just find the grey/yellow combo a bit glaring.

Nice job otherwise! Any chance you could use higher res photos though? If you cut down on your pieces you could fit higher quality photos in there while maintaining a decent file size.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
nice book.
i think you pumped up the saturation a little too much on most of the photos. it looks like you used radioactive ink on some. I also agree with what one3 said, there are a few issues of alignment and spacing throughout, but those are minor tweaks. "it has to be perfectly aligned, or far from it, otherwise it looks like a mistake"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.