Design Site Name help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ktbubster, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Which Name is better for a design firm?

1. popmilk design

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Sit down design (see variations and post your fav.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. two-ply design (see variations and post fav.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. WTF? these are all absolutely crap, i won't remember any of these.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I am working on a rebranding and was asked to decide what name I feel is better and catchier for a design "firm".

All the names have a special "meaning" to the designer, so as far as that is concerned it's been thought out plenty. Now it's just which one sounds "catchier" and more memorable?

Sit Down Design (in variations of Sit Down! or Sit Down. or just sitdown)

Two-Ply Design (in variations of twoply, two ply or two-ply or 2-ply)

Popmilk Design

Suggestion of "logos" or anything revolving around these would be good to help push the decision, but it's not too important as just how the name comes off immediately.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't understand what "Sit Down Design" or "Sit Down! Design" means. The first thing I think of is either laziness or giving orders to a dog or small child, depending on whether it's punctuated.

Two-Ply Design would work well if you're designing Charmin, Angel Soft, or Quilted Northern, because that's about all that name conjures up in my head.

I have absolutely no idea what Popmilk means or is trying to suggest. It doesn't strike me as particularly memorable, and doesn't really convey the types of designs in question (architectural? graphic? shipbuilding?).

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I like popmilk. It would work well with abstract design, I think the name could be remembered quite well if a suitable logo can accompany it.

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

5. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Well, it's going to be called "popmilk design" or "two ply design" or "sit down design" so... they will know what it is for... it's not just "popmilk or two ply"

but i thought the same about two ply - only a few people know it's also what they refer to illustration board (comic drawing term) like bristol etc... athough not particularly relevent, but made sense when i heard it.

anyway, as far as the name representing what we do, i dont' think that's neccessary, Penguin Design is a pretty well off firm, and they clearly don't design penguins or artic wear... that's what the portfolio and site shows... and the rest of the information surrounding it.

it's more "if someone said, I do design and work for sit down design (which also works on the "you have to sit down for this news" theme here is my card, or whatever other name, would you remember if someone were to bring it up to you again "hey have you ever heard of popmilk?" - "oh yeah! that design firm" .... or "hey.. i used this design firm called popmilk, they were good"

sorta way....

anyway, keep the comments coming :)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What's really important is whether prospective customers know what it is for.

Yes, but that still doesn't address what type of design you're selling.

I'm an engineer, and my work is MEP design for commercial buildings. If my company billed its services as "Acme Design," that really wouldn't say much to what we do.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Why isn't the "design firm" handling the branding and naming of their official company and site? Seems to me this would be a hands on project for any kind of design firm. I certainly wouldn't be farming out this important creative step to a contract or freelance person.

If they don't know what they should be called, that's a problem.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seems to me it's a hands-on project for a marketing firm.

I still haven't been able to get to the bottom of what type of "design" this firm is into. I'd probably be able to give more insightful answers. ;)