Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of Yosemite's design?

• I love it! Apple did a great job!

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Meh. It's alright.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I hate it! What kind of design is this?

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I don't understand how people are praising the design so much. This is the worst design I have seen Apple make. I loved the iOS 7 redesign, but this doesn't look as good as it.

The redesign is the only thing keeping me from updating. I normally never say that, but this is the first case where I have seen a new design that is worse than the old one. I just feel zero incentive to update from Mavericks, which I have themed a bit.

I'm still waiting for it to "grow on me." The transparency looks amateur on a desktop OS, and I can't help but feel a Vista vibe coming from it.

Just looking at the Yosemite screenshots on here makes me feel sick: the ugly mesh of bright colors. I'll probably enable the darker colors option just like I did in iOS 8.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Too much bickering on those. I wanted to create a fresh, new thread. :D

Nothing can go wrong with this :D

But in all honesty, I expect the 'I love it! Apple did a great job!' to 'I hate it! What kind of design is this?' ratio to be around 5:1, as with every other poll on this topic.

Edit: its 5:1, not, 1:5, of course. How silly of me

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Nothing can go wrong with this :D

But in all honesty, I expect the 'I love it! Apple did a great job!' to 'I hate it! What kind of design is this?' ratio to be around 1/5, as with every other poll on this topic.

So far "I love it" is beating out the "I hate it" option.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Does it even matter at this stage. Nothing is going to come of this except just another poll upon a poll upon yet another poll. What in tarnation do you people do with this information anyway ? Writing a book ? Does it make you feel better the next day ?:eek:

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
I really enjoy it. Despite some glitches and parts that could use some finishing touches.

I opened each of the 5 new default desktops up in a space each, and I have to say all the variation in parts of the UI is really nice looking to me.

A couple of days after now, and most people I know who are using or working on Macs have been pretty positive about it, one student friend stating it felt like she had got a new Mac!

I was worried before the update, really settled into it now. My concern being that Apple give in to the vocal few, but having seen the complete rebranding, all the updated Mac tutorials for Yosemite, it happily looks like they're sticking with it.

As before, there are a few legitimate complaints about useful tools that have been lost or moved, I do hope these are addressed in some form.

anodibu

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
The redesign is the only thing keeping me from updating. I normally never say that, but this is the first case where I have seen a new design that is worse than the old one. I just feel zero incentive to update from Mavericks, which I have themed a bit.
Have you tried it out on a mac? From the screenshots I too didn't like the look of Yosemite but I decided to try it out on my iMac since I already skipped Mavericks. Seeing it running in real life it's a lot better, I really like it now and I find the design beautiful.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I don't understand how people are praising the design so much. This is the worst design I have seen Apple make. I loved the iOS 7 redesign, but this doesn't look as good as it.

I'm still waiting for it to "grow on me." The transparency looks amateur on a desktop OS, and I can't help but feel a Vista vibe coming from it.

Just looking at the Yosemite screenshots on here makes me feel sick: the ugly mesh of bright colors. I'll probably enable the darker colors option just like I did in iOS 8.

Glad I haven't got your eyes man, it's stunningly great work.

Tony.Skid

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Italy
What I really hate is the new iTunes... miss a lot the sidebar, hope it will be back like the camera roll in 8.1 ....

Yosemite have a new look, it's nice, even if also the "old" 10.9 was cool.
Anyway, I can get used to it (also because there's nothing I can do :D ), but iTunes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.