Design Student - Pro or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by migsev, Oct 14, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

at first i was inclined to get the pro. now that the new MB's/MBP's are out, and the MB has better graphics, i'm starting to think again. would i really need the 9600?

i'm a design student and i'll end up using the whole adobe suite most of the time for school.

advice?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The current Adobe suite doesn't use the GPU but the new version will. 9400 should be more than capable.

I don't see any reason to get Pro unless you really want the bigger screen, but then it's a heavier and bulkier machine to carry around.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not by much... We're not talking 10kgs difference here. :p

I think the real choice is how powerful you need to be on the go. If you do most of your work at one desk, then consider a MB with an external display. You'll have a ton of room to work when you need it and you can "get by" with 13" on the go.

4. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

my thing exactly. i've already got an external display waiting for me, and i was planning to plug the MBP into that. but then they pop out with new GPU's.:eek:

is the macbook futureproof enough? i'm getting this to last all throughout my college life, hopefully. we can only afford to drop $2k once.

5. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

6. Super Intendo macrumors regular

didnt they say the 9400M was on par with or ahead of the 8600 today, or am i mistaking that statement for the one about the intel graphics? not that this would make a huge difference, for the OP, i'm purely curious for myself.

7. Banacek macrumors 6502

8. xnitrorider62x macrumors newbie

xnitrorider62x

truth be told you will be fine either way. I did most of my design class stuff on my old macbook.

9. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I'd go with the MBP mostly for the screen real estate. Of course you could do everything on a Macbook, but the 15" would allow you more room for panels it would just be more comfortable in general. Even if you plug into an external display at home, when you work at school it'll be nicer.

10. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

50%-75% close to the 8600, if i'm not mistaken?

point taken about the screen size at school. it WOULD be a big benefit to me as i always end up working a lot at school anyway.

decisions, decisions...

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you do mobile work, the MacBook. If you sit at one desk most of the time and have the extra cash, go for the MacBook Pro. Very simple. I'd go for the MacBook simply because I want something small and powerful (new graphics), which is very useful in college/school.