Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Question for you, I'm not finding a lot of results online but I thought maybe some of you would know some suggestions. Basically I'm looking for a high-end modern looking desk. This of course rules out Ikea since it all looks like crap. So basically are there any nice looking (or knockoffs) cheaper (under $300) designer desks? I'm thinking along the lines of Herman Miller, Crate and Barrel, etc etc. Just a nice looking desk.

Thanks for any help!!!

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
You might get on better if you stopped looking for certain brands and just went to the stores and looked at desks instead.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yea I figured that was the case, I just thought maybe someone knew some company that had nice looking desks.

Thanks for the replies though.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Yea I figured that was the case, I just thought maybe someone knew some company that had nice looking desks.

Thanks for the replies though.

I'm in the same boat. We just bought a house and the previous owner turned the formal living room into a nice office, the only problem, I need a desk to match that office but I have no cash to do so. For now, I'm using the desk my wife used in college 5 years ago, but I'd like something bigger and better. I don't want to waste $330 at Ikea knowing I'll want to replace it in 2-3 years when my finances are in a better position. Actually thinking of picking up a dining room table at a place like Ikea that looks nice and could be had for about $200.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Desk come in so many different shapes and sized. Do you have a picture of a style you like?

Office max or staples might be a place to check....Especially if they have any clearance items.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in the same boat. We just bought a house and the previous owner turned the formal living room into a nice office, the only problem, I need a desk to match that office but I have no cash to do so. For now, I'm using the desk my wife used in college 5 years ago, but I'd like something bigger and better. I don't want to waste $330 at Ikea knowing I'll want to replace it in 2-3 years when my finances are in a better position. Actually thinking of picking up a dining room table at a place like Ikea that looks nice and could be had for about $200.

Yea, that's a good idea actually, looking at dining room tables.

Desk come in so many different shapes and sized. Do you have a picture of a style you like?

Office max or staples might be a place to check....Especially if they have any clearance items.

I basically want just a simple rectangular desk probably at least 5 feet long. I want it to be very modern. Something maybe along the lines of this:

http://www.momentoitalia.com/tutti file/immagini/children/CHILDREN-BIG/1TS_jpg.jpg

I attached an image of my current desk. Due to camera magic the desk actually doesn't look terrible but in person there's a lot of scratches and it just looks ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 112

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've done some furniture buying recently and it's a rough world out there. Cheap, nasty furniture is surprisingly expensive. Getting something that is actually made of real wood is even more expensive. I went out the other day looking for a small end table for plants and almost died of sticker shock.

IKEA is a good option, it occupies the middle ground between designer furniture and department-store dross. My recommendation is to invest in good furniture when you can. Get a few bits of actual designer furniture and then build the room around that with cheaper bits. The designer furniture is more stylish and lasts longer, so you can afford to collect it slowly.

A small dining-room table could be a good alternative though.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yes, unlike the Ikea desk, a fart doesn't generate enough wind to knock down the $4,000 desk.

The Hemnes line-up is one of their higher end offering.

Anyway, I don't get the IKEA hate, my desk is from Ikea (GALANT), cost me about 130$ on sale and it's lasted years and still looks like new.

Same for some of my living room furniture, which is not the highest end stuff (Besta storage units and a Karlstad sofa).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The roomandboard desk is simply beautiful - thanks for posting it.

The Hemnes line-up is one of their higher end offering.

Anyway, I don't get the IKEA hate, my desk is from Ikea (GALANT), cost me about 130$ on sale and it's lasted years and still looks like new.

Same for some of my living room furniture, which is not the highest end stuff (Besta storage units and a Karlstad sofa).

Agree with a number of posters who have pointed out that not all of the Ikea stuff is poor although some is - (but there is an awful lot of cheap and nasty clapboard furniture out there - elegantly crafted pieces of solid wood at a reasonable price can be surprisingly hard to find), and the Hemnes range is one of their better quality products.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
300$+ dollars for what looks like a 49$ LACK table from IKEA ? :confused:

Seriously, just go to Staples or Office Depot, you'll get better than that at about 1/3 the price.

It looks wayyy better than a LACK table. I'm OCD, and I pay attention to every single detail which is why I'm so picky about everything. The LACK tables for one have a super fake-looking "wood" finish. It's actually just wood looking panel on particle board. Everything at Ikea is made of particle board practically. It's also super wobbly. Versus the Parson table which is actually made of wood, and is sturdy. There are also concealed drawers which is a nice touch. Plus it looks much nicer, the width of the legs is equivalent to the width of the table top which I really like. I'll pay extra for that any day. :)

And don't get me started on Office Depot/Stapes.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Everything at Ikea is made of particle board practically. It's also super wobbly.

Hum, IKEA stuff isn't anymore wobbly than that desk you pointed out. None of my furniture from IKEA is wobbly. BTW, from Parsons' build instructions for your 300$ desk :

CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Hardware may loosen overtime. Periodically check that all connections are tight.

So if you don't like "woobly" stuff, looks like this isn't for you either. ;)

Not to mention that not Everything at IKEA is made of particle board, that's a complete ignorant statement. The HEMNES line-up, pointed out to you earlier, is made of solid pine :

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70121249/

Product description
Main parts: Solid pine, Stain, Clear acrylic lacquer
Drawer sides/ Drawer back: Solid pine

What is your 300$ made of ? Oh right, " Engineered wood with chocolate-stained ash veneer, walnut veneer or white lacquered finish.". What's "engineered" wood ? It's particle board for god's sake !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineered_wood

Engineered wood, also called composite wood, man-made wood, or manufactured board; includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding the strands, particles, fibers, or veneers of wood, together with adhesives, to form composite materials.

You're standing there, bashing IKEA which offers cheaper products made with solid wood for using "all particle board" while showing us a "solid desk" for 300$ that is made of particle board. You're telling us you're OCD, but you failed to even look up what you were looking at, instead believing it was good for being branded.

I got news for you, I'm waaaaaaay more OCD than you are, I actually bothered to research all this stuff to save you money. Frankly, I should better spend my time on myself. It's against the rules to insult people, but that frankly looks more like "Brand slavery" than obsessive compulsive disorder to me. You want a brand name so you can tell people "look at my Parsons' desk, it's way better than generic IKEA stuff you guys buy".

Anyway, have fun with your overpriced particle board desk that is wobbly if not retightened every now and then.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Go to Ikea. They have some pretty good desks. I have one, my wife has two and the mom has one. No issues with them what so ever. You can have a pretty nice setup for under $300.00 too.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Go to Ikea. They have some pretty good desks. I have one, my wife has two and the mom has one. No issues with them what so ever. You can have a pretty nice setup for under $300.00 too.

Yea, I suppose. I could save the extra money. Would be nice. I could walk out of Ikea with a lot of stuff for $300.

And I'm ignoring the other post. I don't feel like having a cyber war at the moment. So you win, congratulations! :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And I'm ignoring the other post. I don't feel like having a cyber war at the moment. So you win, congratulations! :D

Easy to say when I so badly got you about the "particle board" thing on the IKEA vs the Parson's desk you found. :rolleyes:

Seems to me you didn't ignore it, you read it and realised what a mishap you made in the selection of your desk after bashing IKEA for the very same thing you found for 300$.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I've scored a lot of used designed furniture off of eBay and even with shipping it's a great price.

This sofa for 200€ + 120€ shipping (with the original black leather cushions).
This Arne Jacobsen Dome Light for 200€ ... completely functional.

You just have to be patient.

To be honest, I don't hate IKEA as much as people on here and I find their desks to have excellent durability for the money spent (300€ is nothing for a new desk.) In addition, the also have the best style:€ ratio for new furniture in the business.

In addition, whomever posted that ridiculous 3000 USD solid wood desk above should be shot in the head.

Attachments

• oset2lk1tok7.jpg
    oset2lk1tok7.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 73
  • phpThumb.php.jpg
    phpThumb.php.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.