Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hello there!

Allow me to briefly introduce myself. I am a designer... a graphic designer, an interactive designer... I do layouts in Photoshop for large websites, for small WAP-sites. I do icon design. I illustrate in Illustrator. I sketch with a pencil. I animate. I come up with concepts for games.
Basically, I'm a designer. I've been doing design professionally in one form or another for the past 14 years. I'm passionate about what I do, I enjoy doing it, and I always strive to do the best I can in all the work I produce.
That's what I am and who I am.
What I am NOT is a developer or a coder. I've dabbled a bit in HTML and CSS, and even a bit of complex Flash ActionScript, but generally, I just end up tearing my hair out with frustration when I try, because I can't do it very well.
I know I'm not a coder, but it frustrates me when I have an idea that I can't implement because of a lack of technical skills.

What's this all got to do with anything I hear you say? Well, unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, you'll all have heard about the great new apps and games that you can get on your shiny new iPhones and iPod Touches.
Well, to get to the point, creating games and mini-apps is something I have been wanting to get into for a long time. This was for the Mac OS, long before the iPhone came along. Now with the iPhone SDK released to the general public, my desire to do this is even stronger, and I have a stack of great ideas that I want to bring to life on the small-screen!
I've sketched out a few of these ideas, but I know that without the coding-skills, my sketches ultimately mean nothing.

So this is where you come in. What I am wanting to do is to hook up with a clever programmer who's familiar with coding for the iPhone, but who perhaps feels that they need a designer to come up with some ideas on what to code. Or if you already have an idea, maybe you need a designer to produce some graphics for it. Or even if you already have an app or game built, maybe the UI needs sorting out.
In the short-term, one of us could help the other out on a project already in-progress. Longer-term, we'd collaborate on our own work together, maybe after-hours outside of our day-jobs. The ultimate goal, in an ideal world, would be for us to do this full-time, as a living.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a programmer who is in need of a designer, because I am a designer who is need of a programmer. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, and together we can have non-itchy backs... or something... ;-)

No, but seriously, teaming up with the right person will ultimately benefit us both. With two of us working together, we'll each bring our own unique special skills to the table, and the results will be twice as good as what each of us could achieve on our own.
I want to stress that any collaboration will be completely 50-50 equal, in terms of work done (although very different disciplines), investment put in, and the subsequent returns for all that.

In conclusion, if what I've said here sounds like something you could be interested in, then have a look at an "advert" I put together saying pretty much what I've said here already, but just more "formally":
http://www.nothowitlooks.com/iphonedev/
My contact details are on the URL above.

I look forward to hearing from you guys...

Thanks for your time,
Brett Archibald.

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Any online portfolio we can look at?

I've had a bunch of people ask me for previous work examples, be they iPhone app related or not, and although I (obviously) don't have any live iPhone app or game examples, I am gathering together in one place a selection of other work examples which will hopefully show what I can do and how they can be applied to what I'm proposing here...

Stay tuned - will come back to you with a URL soon.

someguy7014

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
hi, i thought advertising things like this was against forum rules... but i may be wrong

So, what exactly was the purpose of your comment? Just to suck up to mods? Why even bother posting that? What is wrong with some people?

Fool.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
So, what exactly was the purpose of your comment? Just to suck up to mods? Why even bother posting that? What is wrong with some people?

Fool.
what was the point of your post? because you have anger issues that you needed to vent? my post at least informs the OP that the thread may be deleted, what does yours do? and if i wanted to 'suck up' to mods i would have also reported the thread, which i did not

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I have now posted a selection of my work portfolio online, but as some of it is "sensitive" work-in-progress, I have opted to password-protect the URL for it so that it's not viewable by just any arbitrary surfer who happens to stumble across it via a search engine or suchlike.

Before you look at it though, bear in mind that none of this work is for iPhone game or app designs. This is work that I have done either as my paid day-job as a web / interactive designer, or work that I have done for myself merely for fun.
I'm just showing it here to give you an idea of the kind of design work I have been doing thus far, and if you can think laterally, how I can apply these design skills into the field of iPhone game & app design.

Remember, the key here is to think laterally! :)

URL:
http://www.nothowitlooks.com/iphonesamples/

USERNAME:
iphone

PASSWORD:
54mpl35

BrettArchibald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
what was the point of your post? because you have anger issues that you needed to vent? my post at least informs the OP that the thread may be deleted, what does yours do? and if i wanted to 'suck up' to mods i would have also reported the thread, which i did not

Thanks for the notification there. TBH, in my ignorance, it hadn't occurred to me whether I'd be breaking forum rules by posting this here. :confused:
If it gets deleted, well then, ho-hum... :(
If it stays, then that's great. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.