Designer needs help ( new mac user )

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fireworksdesign, Aug 13, 2011.

1. fireworksdesign macrumors member

Hi , first time macbook air 13 inch owner here. I have used windows xp, 7 and ubuntu but its my first time using mac lion.

I have a long list of questions here, hope somebody can answer them please.

a. When youre in full screen , lets say in safari, what is the best way to hide safari or unable the full screen mode ? Is it possible thru gestures?

b. What are mac freeware alternatives to >

winzip >
    any ftp program >
    winamp >
    ftp software >
    notepad ++ >

any budgeting/personal finance programs out there?

or can you point to a list of essential mac apps after a fresh install of lion ?

c. If you use Adobe Fireworks in a mac, and you have also used the windows version, you will notice the toolbars ( undo, redo , the bring to back/front ) buttons are not in the mac version. It was a real shocker for me when I found out it wasn't there, is there a panel extension for this or should I use keyboard commands ?

d. I want to change the icons for the programs and folders, lets say in the dock and desktop, how do I do this ?

e. Do I need to install antivirus programs /anti malware programs like ad aware or I don't ?

f. Any tips to make the macbook air even faster ( like in windows you can disable services in msconfig, etc )

Thanks !

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Built-in. Right-click on selected files and compress.
    Built in. TextEdit.
    Personal Finance Apps - TODAY!
    Alternative to Quicken
    Personal Finance Software Recommendation
    Best personal budgeting software?
    Looking for a good budget program
    Financial Applications?
    Etc., etc., etc.
    To change the icon for any disk, app, file or folder
    You don't need any antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    No. Macs don't come with bloatware like Windows.

See links to software recommendations in this link:
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User