Designer Sleeves - Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ET iPhone Home, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I wanted a secondary case to my Mophie Juice Pack Air. I don't really need the extra battery charge on most days. I thought about the Deff Cleave Draco, but I'm not convinced that the signal issue has been resolved. I really rather go caseless (naked), and get a sleeve instead. These are the only two sleeves that I actually like, as far as what they look online, and have the ability to return them directly to the stores w/o having to wait 3 weeks for a refund like Amazon, for example.

I like the Tumi, because it has the side compartment for 3 most carried ID's: Drivers, one Credit Card, Gym Card., whereas the Burberry doesn't, but the Chocolate Plaid, I do like more than the Tumi Leather.

Forget the Sena Case. Someone posted that it had scratched the silver bands (both sides) of his iPhone 4S. There are others, but they are pending testing and manufacturing, this according to GadgetMac.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Burberry
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/burberr...78785?origin=PredictiveSearch&resultback=5603

Tumi
    http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10801474&prodFindSrc=paramNav

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The Burberry one is nice but I like Louis Vuitton's better. I currently use one for my iPhone 4 and it is definitely worth it. My friend uses a 2G one and that sleeve still looks great today.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Aren't those Louis Vuitton super expensive - Like $300-$500?

Can you post a photo of your LV Case? If it's too inconvenient, I understand.
    How's the fit? When you get a call, and pull the case, will the phone have a tendency to slip out of the case (causing the phone to fall onto the ground). This is my biggest fear with a case sleeve. Thanks.

4. googdot macrumors regular

I've got a Calypso Case and couldn't be happier.

I went with the 'Tokyo breeze' black leather with red trim. They've also got cases with a real silver trim as well, but I preferred the stitched look. I think it looks great and offers solid protection in my pocket/bag.

The best part is the titanium frame which holds the phone in place with just enough friction - even if you turn it upside down or grab the case the wrong way the phone doesn't slide out.

5. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The Calypso Case is very nice. Very stylish. It's definitely a "hard case" and not a "soft pouch" like the Burberry or Tumi I documented above. I like that it hugs the 4S without it slipping out of the case. And you get to use the iPhone in its naked form as mentioned in that video. I especially, like the Black Pebble Grain with Red Stitching if I had to choose.

I went ahead and ordered the Burberry since it was on sale. I'll test it out when I receive it and see if the 4S slips out of it. If it does, I'll just return it. If not, I'll keep it since my no# 1 criteria is to have a sleeve that supports the 4S without it accidentally slipping out of the sleeve when I reach for it and pull it out of my pocket. I may consider this Calypso Case as an alternative if the Burberry fails. I figure the Tumi may perform as the Burberry as they both are soft sleeves.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm in the USA. I don't think they sell these Calypso Cases locally.

6. agpatel macrumors member

How do your like the Burberry case?

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I would agree and go as far as to say the quality is much better than those "designer sleeves".

[​IMG]

8. MaxMike macrumors 6502

Did you look at the slim sleeve from Coach? I know it is just a solid color, but whatever my family and I have from Coach have stayed durable very nicely to this day.

9. Catcher macrumors regular

Damn it those cases are nice.

2 Questions

Would an iPhone fit in one with one of those super thin cases, the 0.35mm ones?

How easy is it to take the iPhone out to answer a call?

----------

I ask because in their review of the case iLounge wrote:

"The fit is so tight that every removal of the iPhone 4 took several attempts of hard pulling before we got the right grip and were actually able to remove the iPhone. On the first attempt, we were actually worried that the phone was simply stuck; even when we went back and tried it for the fifth and sixth times, after trying to flex the case to make it less grippy, the same problems persisted. Clearly, this is a serious issue and a fatal flaw. If the fit were just a little bit better, this case might be worth considering, but the reality is that trying to use your iPhone in this case is just too difficult. We do appreciate the design’s visual and tactile appeal, but this isn’t a case we could recommend for anyone’s use given its impracticality and price"

10. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's okay. I'll try and post a few photos tomorrow. I'm sort of not liking it. It doesn't have enough of the plaid design. It's slim though. There's and X in the front and one on the back - doesn't look like plaid at all. You can see this clearly from the link I posted above. It's also a tight fit. I struggled having to insert and pull the 4S out of the case. I'm sure it'll give, but I think, I may get the Tumi pouch instead. It has a pocket for an I.D., CC, and maybe 1 Bill. The Tumi is half the price.

11. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

The Calypso doesn't have speaker holes at the bottom. Don't you have a lot of missed calls as a result?

You can of course insert it upside down. But it will look funny and you will press the home button when you take it out.

I found even the Senna which has speaker holes killed the volume so much, I decided to return it.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You can hear calls just fine. There are holes in the titanium band though and the sound travels thru the leather. You cannot insert it upside down.

13. googdot macrumors regular

The Calypso case is an exact fit - no chance of using a 0.35mm case with it. I do have a PS Crystal protector on the front and back and have no problems with it.

It's easy to take the phone in and out. I read that iLounge review as well and am not sure what they mean as mine fits perfectly with no troubles to remove.

+1

It only goes in the one way and there is no problem to hear rings and alerts at all.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

They haven't used the case as they should have. The leather breaks-in after about a few days of use and the insertion is smoother. *That's what she said :p

15. chkenwing macrumors regular

Do you reckon a 4S will fit in this case with the PS front/back protection and the LuckyLabs side protection strips?

16. agpatel macrumors member

Took a dive and got the Burberry case from Burberry in gray and is not like the one posted above. More of the check pattern. iPhone 4 fits in it with a thin CF hard case around it. (1mm or so thick case).

[​IMG]