Designers: working on a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uplift, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

I'm trying to understand the impact the retina macbook pro has on designers, i've read bits but i don't fully understand what is going on and how it effects me?

An example; i'm using Photoshop (pre-retina).. i create a canvas 1000x1000 72dpi. So whats actually happening here? is that the scale i'm actually working at? or is the rMBP doubling it? is this likely to appear different on non-retina? or doing it this way is just the same as working on non-retina, however the images are not retina optimised?

What if i'm doing print and working at 300dpi?

How does the situation change when we get retina photoshop?

How do i make my web images suitable for both retina, and non retina (not the coding part, just the design stage) ?

I don't have an external display so non retina testing will be difficult for the time being, is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Teo Morabito macrumors member

The screen acts the same as a regular screen, say it is set at 1920x1200 an app will look the same as it would on a native 1920x1200 but everything is much sharper when using optimized apps or the same using old apps...
    Hope that simplified explication helps.

3. Rohebot macrumors newbie

Read here in the adobe forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4570071

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I too am wondering about the impact on graphics, especially when it comes to creating content to be shared with others who do not have an RMBP....particularly photography.

I recently created a Lightroom web gallery of travel pics. They look like crap on my co-worker's RMBP. MacOS scaled them up to take up the same screen real estate as they would on a standard 15" screen. I don't know what algorithm they're using, but it sucks. Of course, when viewed individually via Preview on an RBMP, at their native 1000 pixels (on the long dimension), the photos are tiny, but clear.

This presents a quandary. If I were to get an RBMP and wanted to share photos, but wanted them to look good on my computer as well as others, do I save all my photos out at 300dpi? If so, won't that mean it will take my viewers ages to download a page of 50 photos? Will they display as massive pics on their displays? Do I just keep the same pixel dimension settings but increase the DPI?

All very confusing.