Designers: Your Late 2015 27" Configs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cliffy Biro, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Cliffy Biro macrumors member

I'd love to hear thoughts of everyone who will be using their new iMac primarily for creative work with Adobe CC or pro apps rather than gaming.

In my saved basket is an i7 / M395X / 1TB SSD and 8GB upgraded to 24GB when it arrives. I was about to order on Monday but held off to wait for the reviews and comparisons.

I guess the biggest decision after today's http://barefeats.com benchmarks is the CPU and GPU vs heat and noise. What are the none-gamers here going for? I've not been looking too much at FPS power just buttery smooth powerful workspace and as quiet as possible!

Thanks guys :)

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you want quiet, get the base model with flash storage. If you're a 2D graphic designer, that's already more than you need. It's possible you might need the 390 GPU, but maybe not.

3. Cliffy Biro thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mainly print design in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign is my day to day work. I edit footage from a 4K GoPro and other 1080 sources too using Premier but it's not a regular requirement. Just needs to be an all rounder for when clients need bits that go beyond usual 2D design and development.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Your cart is perfect! When running premiere pro, all is quiet (so far). When I encoded a short 4K clip for export, the fans ramped up, AS THEY SHOULD. Then they went right back down. All threads of the CPU were in high use. If you want longer encode times, or longer renders, or longer whatever, then get the less capable machine. If you aren't doing any video work, then it depends on the requirements of your particular program. But most of the CC applications love more power from both the CPU and GPU

Also, according to one review, OpenCL performance is quite improved with the M395x. Anyhow, don't hesitate.

5. Cliffy Biro thread starter macrumors member

Awesome cheers, so you went for that spec to @Sirmausalot? I totally agree about the fans, no issue with them firing up during an encode, that's normal; heck my current laptop nearly takes off! Just want to make sure with some other similar use scenarios that regular 2D CC use and movie watching isn't going to heat the beauty up to annoyance levels :)