Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Looking to design my own website (a .com). What programs would be good to do that? I already know HTML but would like something like Frontpage.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i have a buddy that just launched a website and he used rapidweaver.

pretty easy to use, he isnt really experienced at any web design.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Depends how ambitious you want to get, and what features you want your website to have. There's a big difference between a casual personal site and an e-commerce site.

At the easier end are iWeb, Rapidweaver, and Sandvox

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Looking to design my own website (a .com). What programs would be good to do that? I already know HTML but would like something like Frontpage.

If you don't want to do it yourself and you don't want to use iWeb, which may have come free with your Mac, look at Freeway Express.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I use Text Wrangler, but then again I code everything myself. I'll second Rapid Weaver as I have seen some of my friends use it to build very nice sites quickly. Just be prepared to shell out more money for plugins and custom themes. Dreamweaver is great too if you are in the advanced/expert category of web designing.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Its not personal...just a small website that I would be able to update on the fly (like a blog)?

If that's all you want to do, just get a Facebook account. It's a lot easier than any Web site-creating software I have used. If you need something more powerful than that, Dreamweaver can do it, but it's not an easy learn. I have no idea what half the stuff is for even after using Front Page for a few years.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Some good recommendations here (iWeb does fine for me on several sites) but I mainly wanted to suggest that you check out the "Web Design and Development" category here on Mac Rumors too. Questions like this come up pretty often and you might get some other ideas from the guys that might not check out all the categories like this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.