Designing clothes?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Skika, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Skika, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Skika macrumors 68030

Hi,

I want to know what is the best app/way for designing your own clothes/clothing line?
    I am fairly new to designing and design apps, so i want to know where to start? I have ideas in my head i just want to know how to went them out.

Thanks

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

The fashion students at my school learn u4ia by Lectra.

http://www.lectra.com/en/index.html

This program is more of a highly technical CAD/drafting software for industry than a place to sketch out fashion ideas.

Most of the sketching they do is on paper (they seem pretty disciplined about this). I have seen some of the students scan their drawings and then add texture and pattern in photoshop.

3. davedee65 macrumors regular

davedee65

Hi

I've worked in the clothing/fashion industry for some time and have always used Illustrator to draw up designs, coupled with Photoshop for textures etc. But these designs always start as paper sketches first; there's no substitute for good drawing and visualisation skills. Once you've got that right then you're ready to start scanning those visuals in and taking them to the next level.

What area of clothing design are you interested in?

Cheers

4. mif macrumors regular

I do everything myself. Jevelry, shoes, and underwear are polygonal clothing, hair is texture mapped polygons and transparency mapping, lips are bump mapped.