Designing on the Vista

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by 7on, Dec 7, 2007.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Soooooo, at work they won't spring for a macintosh. So I've been bringing my RevA Macbook (2ghz, 1gb ram) and using that when the Vista machine locks up. Any hoo, the Vista machine is a dell with 1.83ghz and 3gb of ram. My problem is that on the Vista Machine I'll have Dreamweaver, Photoshop, illustrator, indesign, outlook, with maybe only 3 docs open in ill and ps and I'll get an "Out of Memory Error" in Outlook or sometimes freehand. Meanwhile I turn around to my mac (which I have only CS1 on) and open twice as many apps and docs and I get my work done.

The question is: is there any way I can adjust Vista to manage RAM more like OSX? I don't understand how I can be out of memory with 90GB of Hdd free

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Becuase RAM has nothing to do with how much free space is on your hard drive.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

As above and it also depends on the way the rest of the system is setup. Page file sizes, plugins in the programs, file sizes etc, is the os 32 bit or 64 bit they all have an effect.

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Swap?

How do I adjust the page file size? Or allow larger page files? Plugins should be standard CS3 'off the cd'

The Vista is 32-bit and my Macbook is on the Tiger.

5. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

actually, with 90GB free on the Hard Drive...couldn't you set up some sweet Virtual Memroy for it to use? Like another few gigs of Virtual Memory. Not as fast and efficient, but it works...or does Vista not support that?

-JE

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

vista doesn't work quite like that, it uses the page file for virtual memory but it isn't always used by programs - windows is funny like that.

Page file setup in vista

linky