Desired & upcoming changes to MobileMe

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by t0mat0, May 8, 2009.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Update - New changes here
    • Locate your iPhone
    • Display a message or play a sound on your lost iPhone
    • Remote Wipe
    • View iDisk files with Native iDisk app
    • Share files with iDisk app
    • Access Public folders
    • Search all your mail messages

Just a thought, as we're a few weeks out. Apple has used SproutCore for a while - using it originally with .Mac, and now moreso with MobileMe.

SproutCore aims to be a standards-based Rich Internet Application platform. Think AIR or Flash without the pain and proprietarynessness.

I'd like video upload from iPhone and better Facebook and iLife integration. Snow Leopard will apparently bring QuickTime X that will help, and deliver
    "the fastest implementation of JavaScript to date" with Safari to run JavaScript "up to 53 percent faster with Snow Leopard."

With Snow Leopard's changes to calendars, presumably the work here will help make the calendars integrate better with other calendar systems for starters.

With SproutCore moving towards 1.0 (a few weeks away)- what additional features would you like, or do you see coming for MobileMe?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Sproutcore isn't that great.

MobileMe sucks on Linux.

If I was going to change MobileMe, I'd add better compatibility - Internet Explorer, Linux and more features for Safari on iPhone.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That along with a full featured calendar and address book tab. I want to view groups in AB and want to add alarms in calendar for example.

Along with that, I want to be able to turn off the main account name.... i.e. my account name NEVER accepts any email whatsoever. Since I can't change it, let me turn it off like I do my aliases.

Not a MM change, but I hope Apple just puts all the apps together in an Outlook type way. Having 1 app that does iCal, Address Book, and Mail would just be a convenience.

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

It's a bit offtopic, but the biggest desired feature for me is for it to be Free. Maybe they could offer an ad supported one with less online storage for free, and then the current one without any ads and more storage?

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I want to see my subscribed calendars on my iPhone. I hate not having the holidays and birthdays (which is the simplest of all) with me when I'm not at a computer.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Server-side mail rules. At the moment my rules only fire to move messages to sub-folders on my Mac. I want it to happen on the server to make rules useful with my iPhone.

7. Eyedn macrumors regular

Errr no thanks.

8. reubs macrumors 68000

Really? I find them all three to be lightweight enough as they are, and they are relatively well-integrated. I think having them combined into one app would just be clumsy. But again, that's just my opinion.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Full Exchange Server syncing of contacts and calendars.

10. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Doesn't that mean IE needs to get more standards compatible? :D
    I agree on getting more features onto the iPhone.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Eww, no.

12. britboyj macrumors 6502a

IMHO, the syncing between ONE computer (Mac or PC) and ONE mobile device (Touch or iPhone) should be free or at least less than $100. $20 would be more reasonable. This is all most people use it for, in my experience.

Web storage? Photo galleries? Syncing multiple computers or mobile devices? Charge for it.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I can see what you mean, but Entourage/Outlook is far from clumsy.

Anything else? Reason why maybe?

That deserves a no. Only because you can get syncing and such from free services like Gmail and others. I tell people constantly to consider all that Mobile Me does. If you don't think the things you'd use it for are worth the price then skip it.

There are other free alternatives out there that are great at keeping things in sync alone.

14. geWAPpnet macrumors newbie

Yes, the most needed thing is to be able to sync the calendar of Outlook (of course connected to Exchange) to MobileMe. It's a shame I have to use Google Calendar for this. And this feature was once promised, but they didn't manage to do it. If Google can do it, why can't Apple?

15. str1f3 macrumors 68000

-sync subscribed calendars
    -native iphone idisk app
    -notes sync
    -more storage (up it to 30?)
    -bring back page of safari bookmarks
    -ability to use alias when sending email from iphone

Sproutcore is fine and I like a lot more than AIR.

16. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Something seen recently from http://twitter.com/okito
    Here's hoping SproutCore can rival AIR in some areas. Why have FLash if you can use other more open source RIA systems?As for all together - look at http://www.sproutit.com

Attached Files:

17. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I think it can. Frankly, I don't even bother with AIR on my Mac. The only app I've ever tried was twhirl and it consumed way too much memory for such a small app. Sproutcore is far more interesting partly because it is open source.

18. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Another ability I would like to see is:

-back to my mac for the iPhone
    -an iphone app that would allow me to connect (stream video/music download documents/music) to my external hard drive when connected to the Airport Extreme

19. macgrl macrumors 65816

I second that. I would really like to see those :)

20. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Really is overdue and would be a very welcome improvement.

I regularly look in my calendar for birthdays, where you'd expect them, then remember I have to go and find the person in the phone book... seems a bit daft tbh.

I'd say two computers (desktop and laptop), a mobile device or two, and decent email storage would be perfect at a lower (free?) price, then all the other stuff at an extra charge would be fair.

Also very good points

21. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

22. macgrl macrumors 65816

23. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

24. thithi macrumors newbie

Here is a workaround for the bookmarks problem:
    Adding Safari bookmarks to MobileMe

25. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

So with the news of the tablet coming in 4 days - what are people looking for in MobileMe?