Desk lamp wakes up iMac when turned on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by poiihy, Aug 24, 2015.

1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I've got an iMac and halogen desk lamp (12v one with transformer inside) connected on the same power strip. When the iMac is sleeping and I turn on the desk lamp, the iMac wakes up.

This is really annoying. Is there any way to prevent the iMac from waking up when it detects an irritation or spike or whatever from the power source?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Things to try:

If not using them, turn OFF the "Wake On ..." selections (lan, bluetooth, etc.).
    Get a filtered power strip.

Good luck...

3. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

Soon after I posted this topic, I solved the problem by setting the iMac to hibernate instead of sleep. Using this command IIRC:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25
    So whenever the machine "goes to sleep" it actually writes the RAM to disk and shuts down. This way it won't start up when it is disturbed, and the only way to start it up is by pressing the power button. It resumes quite quickly so I am fine with it. Plus, the machine survives power outages when it is "sleeping" (actually hibernating).

4. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

The hibernate fix didn't really fixed the problem... well, actually, it fixed the desk lamp problem but it made a new problem.

For some reason the machine will randomly startup a while after going to sleep (hibernate). When I put it to sleep (hibernate) before going to bed, the machine will start up in the middle of the night.
    How the hell can it start up when it is OFF?! When it's in hibernate, it's completely OFF with the memory archived on disk. What would cause it to START UP from hibernate?! :confused: :eek: Really weird!!!!!!

So, the hibernate thing fixed the problem of having the machine wake up with any disturbance, including from the power source, but it introduced a problem of starting up automatically after being set to sleep (hibernate).

I probably have to leave it running all the time and only put the display to sleep. This is the only way I know of fixing it, other than shutting it down and starting it up frequently.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

Best solution: Get rid of the Halogen lamp. ;)

6. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

That doesn't solve the problem.

7. brotherjoe macrumors newbie

Unplug the power cord. :)
    If it is still power up in the middle of the night.. something is seriously wrong.

8. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

That does not solve the problem either. That just puts the problem aside.

9. cycledance Suspended

get rid of the imac and buy potatoes. problem solved.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Is your power cable grounded on the iMac and on the power strip?

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

You sure you're not just making something vibrate on the table and the sensitive laser in the mouse is causing it?
    Sometimes when I stump around the house running out of time it's enough for mine to wake up.
    It even happens when the cat jumps on the table to steal my damn grilled cheese sammich!

12. JAT macrumors 603

13. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

probably has a ghost in his room that likes playing on his mac lol

14. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

What's funny is that if I touched my MacBook while it was on the same table (and plugged into the same power strip as this Dell desktop), the Dell would wake up.