Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Hi - just want to know what does anyone have thoughts on wall mounting vs desk mounting an iMac / Thunderbolt display?

Been looking at the Egrotron MX.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
can't say as I have tbh....

I think I would only consider a wall mount if my screen was 37" +

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I kinda thought so but I can't imagine it being in any way practical.

Most people use a desk for the keyboard etc. The screens are designed to work within the same level you use the keyboard. If you are using a desk, why would you want to use an arm mounted monitor?

Why drill holes into your wall if you don't have to? Especially since you will need to find the wall studs to ensure that the drywall doesn't fall out and drop your monitor on your head. Sometimes the wall studs aren't so cooperative in their locations.

WW

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
agreed, and the TBD is pretty sleek and agile as far as setting on a desk. I would just worry about hiding everything else on the desk minus the keyboard and mouse instead of trying to use wall mounts. You can't just up and move stuff around with that option either. I like to be able to Rearrange as needed.

Last edited:

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
I just got a wall mount for my 27", didn't mount it yet though. The reason for it is that my desk is to shallow and i could use some more distance between my face and the screen. Still going to mount it at the same height as the original stand as i think it is the perfect height. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.