Desk Pad Options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mike Creuzer, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Mike Creuzer Administrator

Mike Creuzer

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a nice desk pad, something that covers both the keyboard and mouse sufficiently. Ideally I want a lip to go over the edge of my desk. I tend to wrest my wrists.

Does anyone have a nice setup they can share? Or heard of a product? The closest thing I've found that is similar to what I want is the Ikea desk pad Rissla: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40246156/

Suggestion and opinions welcome.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That ikea desk pad looks nice and is only $25, however the idea of using a keyboard and mouse on OSX means you aren't really getting the best user interface. If you use an Apple trackpad, the mousing surface is no longer an issue.

I used Logitech bluetooth mice for years on my Macs until I finally got a "modern" Macbook Pro with the newer touchpad that supports gestures. Since then I've picked up an Apple wireless bluetooth trackpad for my Mac mini. I like the gestures that much. I also like the fact my "mousing" space is never larger than about 5 inches by 5 inches and I have better control than I did when I used a mouse. I keep my bluetooth mouse nearby if I ever want to do graphics pixel by pixel but those occasions are few and far between, possibly every other month or so.

If you buy a new iMac these days, you get the wireless keyboard and mouse and they charge you extra for the trackpad option. From my experience the trackpad should be the default. It's every bit as nice as the trackpad on my MBP. It did take some minor getting used to. For instance, if you want to drag the cursor all the way from the left side of your left monitor to the right side of your right monitor, you click and hold then use another finger to drag. It works great and is actually less of a hassle than using a mouse to cover that distance. I tend to have cluttered desks and moving from a mouse that requires a sizable amount of "empty" desk space for movement doesn't work nearly as well as the Apple bluetooth trackpad.

So while I like that ikea desk pad, I suggest you also consider giving a trackpad a try. BTW Apple's magic mouse didn't work as well for me as the trackpad.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think I am going to pick that one up this weekend after seeing it in the Mac Setup picture thread. If I do, I will report back :)