Deskjet 1510 workaround

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Oct 10, 2015.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So my wife won a laptop (ASUS X551M), an HP Deskjet 1510 printer and an office desk today in a raffle.

Currently I am updating Win 8.1 to Win 10 (free upgrade), but the printer was the real nut.

Drivers are for 10.6 minimum. But, a little Googling reveals that you can use the drivers for the Officejet Pro 8600 (an All in One, just like the 1510) which DO install on 10.5.

Now, I have an ASUS-AC66U router (courtesy of Sprint) which has USB ports. So, I hooked the DJ up to the network through the USB ports on the router.

Added the printer several times using LPD and got nothing. But, I thought, what the hell and added it as an HP device and guess what? It printed!

So, I've got a networked 10.6 only HP printer now that can be printed to from any computer on my network.

Minimum 10.6 Snow Leopard my ass!

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hey, you didn't mention what computer you're trying to install the printer drivers on. Might telling me? :)

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I installed on my Quicksilver and my son's PowerBook. Both of which run 10.5.8 max.

There is a grand total of one MBP in the house running Snow Leopard. Everything else is PowerPC.

Although we did get one PC laptop today.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Well, that's pretty sweet! Congrats on finding this. I think companies should not limit the minimum required software if they have a driver for a different printer which (most likely) is identical to the one you have. It's pretty lazy of them IMO. Then again, printer drivers are ALWAYS a pain to master. :)