Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
So we've covered desks lately, how about a good chair? We all know that our craft can sometimes include long hours at the desk, which means (unless youre desk is Asian chic and on the floor) long hours in a chair.

So my back is killing me, the massage pad in it helps, but Im thinking I need a better chair. Currently I have a nice leather chair rated for sitting periods of 5-6 hours. Id like to have one of those ergo multi-tilters that are made of a mesh material, but 500.00 for a chair is a little steep. Any other suggests or comments?

Thread is half comment and half question, so everyone is free to jump in.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I bought a cheap Moses chair from Ikea, and after a few minutes of sitting in it I decided that I hated it. The model they had in the store was different. The one that I got was stationary and didn't recline at all if you lean back. I eventually went and got myself a nice exercise ball and that's what I'm currently sitting on right now.

I'd like to get one of those crazy nice chairs, but I'm just a poor college student.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
I wouldn't recommend a mesh chair. Look into humanscale or steelcase when you have time.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I use an Aeron chair, as it was worth it for the amount of time I can spend at my computer. Granted, it's not a nice price for college students, and here is one option that may be more budget friendly. If you're in USA, it's $199 with free shipping/return shipping.

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 116

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I am currently using an old, all wood, non-adjustable kitchen chair that can't be good for my back. It looks somewhat similar to this, but is all wood and a little bulkier and deep.
Aluminum-Wood-Chair-20432346981.jpg

Half the time I sit cross-legged in it just to be comfortable it is so deep and wide.

I have been wanting to get something like this since sitting in one while at a conference meeting at my fathers work, but as a college student I don't have the extra cash floating around.
everythingofficefurniture_1994_122004674

The more adjustable stuff the better in my mind, as long as it stays set where you put it.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
People saying they're satisfying with the Aeron, well of course they better say that because they paid so much money for one but trust me, a Steelcase or Humanscale is a lot better.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
People saying they're satisfying with the Aeron, well of course they better say that because they paid so much money for one but trust me, a Steelcase or Humanscale is a lot better.

Or perhaps I really do like it, and am indeed satisfied. Note, the prices between these brands and Herman Miller are comparable for similar products. When I purchased the Aeron, they didn't require me to endorse their product, let alone lie in their favor if I was dissatisfied with it. I recommend it to others solely because I like it myself, and think others may as well. If I were dissatisfied, I would suggest people try something else. Fortunately, my ego is not derived from my experiences in choosing computer seating. :confused:

Are you endorsing the entire lines of Steelcase and Humanscale, or specific models? I have never understood why someone who is satisfied with a product feels the need to criticize other brands, rather than share what it is about their chosen product/brand that pleases them. :rolleyes:

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
we each use one of these until we decide to get new chairs, most likely in the form of a steelcase something or other.

I have something which is basically this one, just with the addition of a head rest, if possible i would suggest something with the head rest that way when you do sit back for a break etc you can rest with head and neck supported and not feel the need to go elsewhere.

Basic requirements:
-5 wheels
-height adjustable
-tilt back/forward
-spin function
-head/neck support
-high back
-seat base should not be too short or too deep so thigh support is correct

Something else I would recommend, as we found this at work the other week, we ended up with a very nice desk chair in our area, only problem is that none of us can use it as you can raise the seat height high enough to make it usable at our desks.

Measure the height of your desk/workstation so you know that the seat is suitable, ie you be seated high enough, and when it place the arms if there are any can go under the desk etc and doesnt run into keyboard tables etc etc.

Go to a few stores, find the one that works best and then order online if you can find it cheaper. Given the amount of time you will spend int he chair treat it as a longterm investment and invest time into the purchase. A little leg work now makes for a much better long term experience.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I use an Aeron chair, as it was worth it for the amount of time I can spend at my computer. Granted, it's not a nice price for college students, and here is one option that may be more budget friendly. If you're in USA, it's $199 with free shipping/return shipping.

OH no no no no that one! I used it for my intern and it was horrible! Not very comfortable for me though...

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
OH no no no no that one! I used it for my intern and it was horrible! Not very comfortable for me though...

I haven't ever sat in it, just found an inexpensive one online with the webbing for the OP to consider. Glad someone has tried it and knows it's not worth the money. (Plus it's fugly, imo). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.