DeskSMS for iPhone!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kimball, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Kimball macrumors regular

2. Kimball, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Kimball thread starter macrumors regular

Dang, I usually dont bump, but aint there ANY interest for this?! Id live being able to answer text messages through my computer!

Edit: Nvm got it to work.

3. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I was looking at this on Friday but I didn't get it to work. Can you share what you did?

Thanks!

4. Kimball thread starter macrumors regular

Have you updated to the latest version of DeskSMS? That did it for me!

5. ckurt25, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I have the latest version. What I did when I set it up is turned it on and enabled push to gmail. I had my notifo user name, the key, google user ID and google password. I tried testing it by sending a text from TextNow to my text number and my phone locked up. It was unresponsive for 30 seconds or so and nothing shows up in gmail or anywhere. I tried going into my sms app (bite) and there is absolutely nothing there. None of my previous messages to anyone.

Any ideas?

Edit - when I went back to Cydia and removed desksms then all my texts came back to Bite.

6. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

I've been looking for this for YEARS!! SO excited, thanks for sharing!

7. Kimball thread starter macrumors regular

Strange. I actually tried it with installing notify pro as well, which made it work somehow the first time I couldnt get it to work. However, DeskSMS is still working after I uninstalled notify pro, so you could try that as a last way out, I just assumed it was the latest version of deskSMS that did the job since thats what the developer told me :)

8. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

WifiSMS does this but better. No set up/extra apps required.

9. -MRB macrumors 6502

Awesome! I've been after an app like this since Veency. Thanks a bunch :D

10. johoja macrumors newbie

Slight difference in DeskSMS and WifiSMS ... DeskSMS syncs to the web/gtalk/and gmail, using push so it's not to bad on battery.

WifiSMS requires you to have wifi connectivity to your phone ... which isn't always possible, and needs to keep the whole web server running in the background.

If anyone has any issues getting the latest version to work please let me know there was a few login issues with the older versions but i believe 1.0.7 is pretty good.

11. Th3d0ctor macrumors member

Th3d0ctor

12. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Awesome! I can respond via email on my iPad. Oh how I love jailbreaks.

13. tnisatard macrumors 6502

WiFiSMS works very well, but IMO, it is best when you are at home connected to your own WiFi network. Also, you are wrong, WiFiSMS requires you to install activator and SBSettings.

On the side note, if you are at work, if someone is techsavy enough, they can just go on their browser, find out the IP address and put :8080 after it, then read through all your text messages. WiFiSMS is not secure at all.

14. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I might try this out, do the incoming txt messages still come to your phone as well as your Desktop?

15. Thedeathbear, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Here is a question. I use my email on my iPad to respond. How would I start a conversation? I have only been replying, but after I get my first text reply.

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Now this app doesn't work. After one or two messages, it resprings into safe mode. Anyone else experiencing this?

17. jallenclark macrumors regular

I am using it now, it is working fine for me. Plus he just updated it and it now works with imessages too. I was waiting for that before buying it.