Desktop-13-1-1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theironist08, Nov 17, 2009.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

Ok, so I have this problem, usually when trying to log out of my college account, after it's been left open for a while, and I click log out.. My download box then opens and it downloads these weird files.. It Started a few weeks ago

I clicked log out and it downloaded Desktop-1, I deleted them all. Now, I'm upto Desktop-1-1. It's really annoying, and I don't know what it is :mad:

Any help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not familiar with your situation, but I'd say that you'd probably get the best info by talking to your campus' IT people.

3. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks, yeah I probably will. I think it could have to do with a few bugs on my macbook. I recently ran a scan using sophos and found "5 viruses". Although it wouldn't let me delete them for some reason. Any recommendations on free programs which will scan and delete dangerous bugs?
    Thanks,

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Any viruses you may have would have to be Windows viruses as there aren't any Mac viruses, I've never used it, but you could try ClamXav, it's free.

5. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

That's great thanks. So the 'macs can't get virus' thing is true'. I just presumed that since I had a virus, it would be a "mac virus".
    Thanks for your help

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No, its not true. There just aren't any.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, yes and no, I don't know about "CAN'T", but what I do know for sure is if the virus is written for Windows (and it generally is) it CAN'T infect a Mac, so in this circumstance you have nothing to worry about if you see those little files appear. This is actually one piece of Windows software you don't want written for Mac. :D

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yep, it's true. If you've got a virus and you're running OS X, it will not run on your Mac, BUT it will affect you if you're running Windows on your Mac via BootCamp (or one of the virtual software programs). Also a Mac can pass them on to other Windows users if they're in the form of infected documents or email.