Desktop Advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nade, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Nade macrumors newbie

Ok well I am in the market for a new desktop, currently I have a black MacBook 2.4ghz with only 2gb of ram. This computer is a great portable machine however I’d like something with more power and I need a desktop machine.

I was leaning toward the 27” imac because I love the display however, there are certain problems. I don’t have room on my desk for a 27” display and adding another desk or using a bigger one causes cluster in my room. So the price of the imac I was going to buy was $2080. The Mac Pro is $2300(buying the next one, upcoming might be a little more expensive). So I considered the mac pro, even though I don’t need that much power all the time.

What I need my computer for is programming, web site development, moderate gaming, a little bit of video editing. A mac pro would be great because it has a PCI-X card that allows a card I want to use(Blackmagic Intensity pro). For this card I’d also need to build a raid array. I have two 22 inch monitors that I can use with the mac pro. If I somehow decide to buy the 27” imac, I will use an older hp desktop for the BMI pro, and edit on the imac.

Now the other thing is, I could also build a hackintosh for about 1200 that would also do all of this.

For the past several days I’ve been thinking it over, however can’t make up my mind. I need some people who know what they are talking about to advise me and not just because they have a certain computer and not the other.

2. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I have a friend that edits video and I do some computer programing and web design. So there is my experience with what you are asking. Now for my answer.

My video editing friend and myself have both decided on MacBook Pro's (17"). Let me outline why:

The option of portability. You can use it as a desktop by plugging into external monitors (essential in my opinion for video editing) and you can also run a mouse and keyboard on it if needed. Doing web design, programming, and even video editing can become really tiresome if sitting in the same spot all the time. With a laptop you can sit and focus or move away and continue your project.

My friend that does video editing will take his MacBook Pro with him on trips for video shoots out of town and (if his assistant is driving) he can edit on the go. Then when back at his office, he plugs into an Apple cinema display and continues his work in a more desktop like situation.

Now as far as the battle between Mac Pro or iMac. I would suggest an iMac. I cannot give you a definite reason on that but it seems more logical even based on the fact you would end up with 3 monitors instead of 2.

I hope this has helped.

3. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked for help from people who know what they are talking about.
    You recommend a laptop when the thread title is “Desktop Advice”, I already have a laptop. Also you cannot give me a reason for any computer and your logical fact doesn’t make sense, you cannot use an imac with two other monitors so the 3 monitor thing doesn’t apply. One of my two monitors is currently unused.

Someone who knows what they are talking about please help me.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think he told you to get a 17" MBP instead. Don't get all hissy because it's not one of the 2 choices you presented. He knows what he's talking about, and gave his opinion.

Personally, I agree with him. But if you need a desktop, it sounds like you already decided on a Mac Pro. Have you considered an older generation one?

5. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

The iMac is VESA compatible... Do you have room to mount it on the wall and save space? There is also a video out on the iMac that would allow you to use ONE of your existing monitors with it. That monitor could also be wall mounted.

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Calm down dear, its just a forum thread.

Actually, the 17" mbp is not a bad idea, although tbh your current mac is still a pretty decent unit, and with a couple of extras (a nice good quality monitor, more ram and faster/larger hard drive for example) could actually take you much further for the time being, and let you decide over a new machine at a later date.

If you are really set on a mac pro though, I would expect them to get cheaper not more expensive after the update.