Desktop and MB? or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toxic-waste, Jun 3, 2007.

?

MBP? or MB and Desktop?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2007.
  1. Macbook Pro

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Macbook and Desktop

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. toxic-waste macrumors member

Hi,
    I've been waiting for Santa Rosa MBP's for some time now, hoping for a GPU upgrade, but realized that i could just as well get a Macbook and a Desktop computer.

I often attend LAN parties(which i walk to) and usually lend a fujitsu siemens 17" laptop with a x1800 GPU. I want to use my new computer at Lan parties as well as school.

--- The story ---
    Originally I wanted to buy the MBP because it is easier to take with me to school and it can still be used for gaming at LAN-p. But because of the long wait for the MBP to come out with a better GPU I find myself in a position where i could get a MB and a desktop... (In 3 moths i get my drivers license:p ,and I can drive to LAN myself)

The macbook has also just been updated, and It would be relatively good time to buy now
    ----------------

Therefore i come to you for advice :D

Should i get a Macbook and desktop?
    or
    MBP with SR and (hopefully) a HD2600 GPU?

I have attached The Desktop configuration, the MB would be the cheapest model, the MBP would be a 15" configuration.

Thx for your help :)

Attached Files:

2. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Get The New Mbp!

If it were me, I would get the MBP and forget about ever owning another desktop system regardless who the mfg is or what it's graphical/CPU specs contain. I own the 15" MBP Core Duo and use it for everything! I have a 30" ACD that I sometimes use with the MBP to watch DVD's and will often plug in a Sony auxillary speaker set.

The advantage of having a portable laptop far outweighs any advantage a few frames per second may give you in any desktop. I'll often do my bills in the morning sun online out on the patio with my morning coffee. I'll surf the net for hours in my Lazyboy while watching the evening news on the TV. Also, sometimes I'll use my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid tuner via USB and co-ax connection and listen to the news while occasionally going full screen to see something of particular interest.

I think the era of destop computers is slowly evolving into portable systems that give much better usability and convenience. Most people would have a portable/laptop if they knew just how far they have come along in the last 5 years or so. Good Luck on your choices.

3. gameguy3001 macrumors member

I would go for the MBP. Its got portability and power so its a win win. What I would suggest doing is waiting a week or two for WWDC and hopefully they will announce/release new MBPs because they are overdue for a update.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

As the next revision of MBPs are very likely to be announced either Tuesday or at WWDC next week, I would wait... sounds like MBP is the way you really want to go.

5. toxic-waste thread starter macrumors member

Still in doubt

Thanks for the replys

The reason for the desktop and MB would be:
    - I could upgrade the graphics card later on
    - My current desktop is failing (CPU failure)
    - I have to carry the laptop to school every day
    - I'm a student and rarely have this kind of money
    - Cost of the MB and a desktop would only be $150 more than a MBP depending on configuration

So the Desktop would be my "gaming- bring to lan- supercomputer" while the macbook would be my school laptop

But i read somewhere that it was possible to upgrade graphics via the ExpressCard/34 slot. Is this be possible?

I'm still unsure,

Why do you think the MBP would suit me better?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The ExpressCard/34 video upgrade is a myth so far, and may always be (there is a Magma Chassis that you can run PCIe cards in I know, but it is hugely expensive. and huge)

Face it, any Mac is never going to be a Lan party / Gaming monster, and is not going to have all the video or CPU or overclocking upgrades you will want. You'll be back here in two months complaining that "the ABC video card in the Mac isn't good enough for FragCity3 with AA turned on", and it sucks that you can't buy a WXY video card for the machine or over clock the stock card.

I say get the portable Mac of your choice, and a desktop or Shuttle-type Windows box you can trick out for gaming. You'll spend a lot of money and an inordinate amount of time upgrading, finetuning and troubleshooting the PC, but that's the way it is.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Um, what desktop are you thinking about? I take it it's an iMac, and if you want to replace wuch in there, you better be really good with your hands. But I'd say you should go with a MBP, it'll live a long time and an outdated graphics card won't be the realy sourcd of the later troubles, it'll just be outdatd by that time, so it will be more of a processor/HD/GPU combo. Get the MBP, you can use it as a perfectly good desktop, and if you're thinkin' about an iMac, realize that the iMac and MBPs are quite similar once you get up there, the only key difference being the HD, you should get a MBP and forget about the desktop, a MBP would be a very good replacement, I think...

8. hwieniawski macrumors newbie

I think that if gaming really matters to you, and if you can drive your desktop to the lan parties (seems like a pain to me) AND you will NEVER have to game on your laptop, then the mb/desktop combo is best.
    However, if that isn't the case, then go for the MBP. It's an awesome laptop, the 15 inch 2.33 is just sweet, nice screen while remaining portable, it gets hot, but on a desk it's not too bad. with my radeon x1600 oc-ed to 482/483, sitting on a desk, and slightly elevated for better ventilation, I got 2438 3dMark06. it's not good enough for the toughest games with aa etc on 8x, but it's good enough for me. and I will say I am THRILLED with my purchase.
    of course, if the MBP line is updated at WWDC, then I'll be annoyed :D but whatever. new experience for me as a student to have a top of the line anything.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have an iMac and a brand new white Macbook. The combination works great I use my iMac for the more demanding tasks (although both systems have the same processor!) and use my Macbook when I want to be mobile. I find it a hassle connecting and disconnecting all my peripherals every time, so I dont think that the MBP alone would be a good choice. I have 5 external hard Drives, a Printer and an iPod dock. If I only had a MBP, I should connect it to all those peripherals every time I want access to them. Now, my iMac is always connected and my Macbook has access to the externals HDs and the printer via Wireless Networking.

Before the Macbook, I had a 15,4" Macbook Pro but I thought it was an overkill having both the iMac and a MBP, so I sold the MBP and got the Macbook.

10. toxic-waste thread starter macrumors member

It will be a windows based PC with DX10 capability.(I have attached the configuration in my first post)

I currently run windows(So i know how to deal with the troubleshooting and painfull driver problems (Vista:mad: )) and the only thing that has been holding me back from OSX is the lack of gaming... Now with Bootcamp i feel its the right time to switch.

I really prefer the look and feel of the MBP, but this is a purchase that I can only afford once in the next 3-5 years, and i also have to think further into the future, where a Desktop and laptop make more sense but i don't think the MB is as special or mac-like as the MBP:confused:, where the MBP has really seduced me. :eek:

11. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'd go for the macbook pro, and then just upgrade the s**t out of it, ofcourse waiting until after wwdc. and maybe since your gaming, go for the Glossy screen rather than the matte screen. it'll look that much prettier : )

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If that's the case, I would go for the MBP. Get the largest available Hard Drive and 2GB of RAM and you will be fine.

13. toxic-waste thread starter macrumors member

Poll and partial decision

Well, I can see everyone pretty much everyone agrees with the MBP option, But after WWDC to see if they are upgraded... :apple:

But just in case I added a poll, so it would be nice if you would consider voting...

Thanks to everyone for the Help :p