Desktop App to read forum

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robj, Dec 26, 2009.

1. robj macrumors regular

Is there any application to read a forum in the desktop? I mean, outside a browser.

I think that a desktop app could offer some advantages that online read doesn't offer.
    For example, you could skip ads or you could save useful threads regarding the forum type.

This kind of app would very useful if it syncs with a iphone one :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ad-blockers​
    bookmarks​
    You can read forums on your iPhone:

So.... what are the advantages of a desktop app?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

vBulletin offers thread subscriptions, which allow you to save useful threads.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'd love an iPhone App for this. The mobile version doesn't work well for me. Don't need it on the desktop for reasons stated above.

5. robj thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying that those things can't be done with vBulletin, in fact, I find vBulletin the best forum software.

But still, I think that a desktop app could have some interesting features that "web world" doesn't give you.

I read several forums, and each of them have different look & feel, I think this is very distracting, it would be great if I could group all forums in tabs inside the app, removing their visual styles.

Another interesting feature is notify you when someone post something in a thread, if you use a desktop app, you could be alerted with a badge in a dock icon, or maybe with a growl notification. Using web this isn't possible. Well, you can subscribe to a thread and receive email notifications when updated, but this isn't very beautiful ;)

One feature I love from vBulletin is the "Forum Spy" but not all forums softwares (like phpbb) have this, it could be simulated with this forum app.

Talking about iphone, you can browse this forums without problem, but once again, not all forums provide you with this functionality, even so, "forum spy" in iphone need you to zoom-in zoom-out to see what happen.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok well let us know when you release version 1.