Desktop background never changes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbook yes, Nov 16, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I have the background set to change every day, but it never changes. However, if i set it to change every 5 seconds it does. I think its just the everyday setting that doesnt work. How do i fix this?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You could try new preference files

com.apple.desktop.plist or com.apple.systempreferences.plist might be corrupt.

Bear in mind, if you move or delete them, you'll lose any other setting changes that you've made. The better strategy is to move them to the Desktop and Restart. New files will be created automatically. I'd try one at a time.

Those files are found in YourHomeFolder/Library/Preferences

If it doesn't work, you can put the files back and overwrite the new ones.

3. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

k. how do i overwrite the new ones? and i dont think i will know if it worked until tomorrow when it doesnt change.

another note: i changed it to change when it wakes from sleep, and now it changes twice when it wakes up. when it wakes up it is at the old image, but a second later it shifts, and then shifts again.

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Weird that it would change twice... I'm not on my mac to see if it happens on my computer too. I was thinking that the desktop not changing before could have been because the computer was asleep. I can't confirm that or deny, just a possibility. I don't have it change my desktop at all.

5. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

i just did it and i dont know if it changes daily now, but it still changes twice.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You just drag the old ones from the Desktop to the Preferences folder. You'll get a warning that a file of that name already exists, and you just click OK.

7. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, if creating a new plist file didn't fix it, then the old plist file wasn't corrupt. Putting the old one back means you didn't "save" the change to a new one, so you're back to where you were.

When did this problem start happening? That is, relative to any new software you installed, settings you changed, etc.

By the way, what OS are you using?

9. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

It has always happened. Well, I've never tried before now, so I don't really know or not, but as far as I know...

I'm using 10.6.2

10. ninerdyhrd macrumors newbie

logic board/battery connector bad?

I recently brought my macbook in because it would just blink off. they sent it away, called and said it had liquid damage and the battery connector and logic board needed to be replaced. 800 dollars!! i told them forget it, send it back. when i got home i hooked it up with the battery only. no response. with the battery and charger. turn on for a few seconds and blink off. removed the battery and hooked it up to the charger by itself. Walla! starts up, works great. i'm sending this message on the thing! can this happen with a bad logic board and battery connector?

11. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried setting it to change every hour and it does not. Its been 3 hours since I started writing my paper and the background is the same.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is there some other process that is running in the background? This might be interfering with the Desktop Picture switching. Make sure nothing else is running surreptitiously.

13. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

what else could be running? I've got word, ical, firefox, and notebook open, and google notifier and ichat in the menubar.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What is google notifier? Can you disable it for a day or two?

Usually things running in the background are add-ons or third party applications, not something that came with the OS. Apparently you don't have many.

15. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I did and nothing changed. Is it possible that it's only counting the time that the computer is awake, not closed?

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's an interesting thought. Why don't you try an experiment to see.

17. eiht98 macrumors newbie

I was just looking for a solution to this problem and found this thread on google. The same is happening to me. My desktop background just would not change on a daily basis.

I have a MB Pro that I bought a month ago.

Let's find a solution together...

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Cool, time to list any similarities! Programs you often run, services running in the background, etc...

19. eiht98 macrumors newbie

I have mail, ichat, safari and microsoft excel running most of the time.

Anyway, this is my first Mac machine. I love it. :cool: