Desktop build

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Standard, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Standard macrumors regular

I need a new tower for modelling, visual effects and animation. It's for school and then professional use.

I'm looking at the Mac Pro or building a custom box. With the current gen Mac Pro's, what sort of NVIDIA GPU's can it accept? I know the CUDA cores work directly with the software that I am using - Mudbox, Maya, 3ds Max, etc.

That being said if I go the Mac route, would it be foolish to purchase a current gen Mac Pro or is the refresh too far away?

The new Mac Pro looks very powerful. I start class next month and I do not know how long this MacBook Pro will carry me into course projects, so I want to prepare myself with a good rig at home.

2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Just build a PC tower. It will be a lot more customizable and expandable throughout its life than any Mac Pro.

GL

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If you....

dont mind tinkering things and have a little of techno prowess and are at ease following instructions, build your own PC. Expect some downtime before all the components play along. You can finish even saving bucks.....:D More options to hardware choices and to tune out the hardware to your likings.

Current Mac Pro will give you 3-5 years of use, giving some conditions. No quality issues, low downtime but also less freedom on the hardware side. A maybe a hefty price tag....:(

Next Mac Pro can come out anytime in fall season (end September- end December) so figure out....

Last to this lenghtly post: Do you research in CUDA capable GPUs in the Mac Pro. Seems to have a thread there about that....:D

:):apple: