Desktop cable management - Where to look?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R34, Jun 12, 2008.

1. R34 macrumors newbie

It's wierd, I've been trying to search for something that holds my charging cables ontop of my desk and that doesnt take up a ton of room, but it seems like everything I find has their own name. I can't just search for one term in google and they all pop up. what would this be called? cable dock? cable holder? blah, there are too many names out there.

I want something for my nightstand, which is where i charge my bluetooth headset, phone (not so much a problem with the iphone dock). I also want it to look good though. There are a lot of bulky or flimsy plastic solutions, but nothing thats very attractive.

I also want one for my desk for all the external gear, ethernet cables, ipod chargers, etc. again, something that is at least somewhat attractive and no very bulky.

I'm not so worried about the clutter under or behind the desk, but i just hate crawling behind the desk every time i want a cable that i unplugged and just fell back. What do you guys use?

It seems like such a simple thing that I have overlooked for all these years and just kind of accepted it as 'thats just the way things are'. It would be nice if there was something with rollers or something on the backside of the desk/stand that i could just grab and pull forward when i needed it. sooo...yeah, any ideas?

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't use cable ties myself since I don't have that many cables to tie up - but I've seen some in Home Depot (I was unable to find the kind I mean searching their site now, though). I've seen the ones made of a hard plastic thing with a hinge and one side has all the teeth that click through the catch on the other side and can be unlocked if you want. I've seen them in all sizes and colours at the Home Depot store.

3. R34 thread starter macrumors newbie

those are more for cable organization rather than keeping them on top of the table. i need something like THIS...but just less ugly.

4. idyll macrumors 6502

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

R34: sry I thought that's you were referring to... Can I ask why you don't get that one from Belkin?

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

7. R34 thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically on my night stand i just placed everything where i wanted them and used a little bit of packaging tape, cut it so its a little bit thinner and taped the cables to the back side.

I just don't like the look of the belkin one. Here's another couple things i was looking at. It's a little bit more what i'm looking for

Cheap Solution:
    http://cableorganizer.com/keep-a-cable/

This is at the top of my list:
    http://cableorganizer.com/altinex-tabletop/altinex-cable-catcher.html

I'm probably just gonna buy the second one. It's the best that i've found so far.